Yeast rolls

ladyre@juno.com
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 21:02:51 PST
v096.n032.14
Some Great Recipes I picked up on Mastercook List from Kathy, who's URL
I've left in the bottom for you, and thought you'd all appreciate it -

Enjoy BreadBakers,
~RE Ausetkmt

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.03

      Title: Minnie & Aunt Pete's Yeast Rolls
 Categories: My favorite, Breads
      Yield: 36 servings

      6 c  Flour
    1/2 c  Sugar
      3 ts Salt
      2    Egg whites
      2 pk Yeast
  2 1/4 c  Warm water, 110 degrees

  Cut shortening into flour, salt and sugar. Dissolve yeast in warm
  water and add to flour mixture, then add egg whites. Mix together,
  knead until smooth and elastic (DON'T overknead and add only enough
  flour to keep dough from sticking) and let rise 1-1/2 hours, or until
  doubled in size.

  Punch dough down, roll out on a lightly floured surface, shape into
  rolls and place in greased muffin tins . Let rise until doubled in
  size and bake in a 375 degree oven 10 to 12 minutes or until brown.

  NOTE: these rolls can also be frozen on cookie sheets and placed in
  zip-loc freezer bags for up to 4 weeks after they have been shaped
  before the second rising. Take out of freezer at least 3 hours before
  baking, place in greased tin and let thaw and rise until doubled in
  size.

  Source: My beloved, albeit eccentric, grandmother and great aunt, who
  married and then built their houses side-by-side and remained culinary
  collaborators, to their family's benefit, all their lives. Deb's
  notes: these are an old family favorite and they're quite flexible.
  It's pretty hard to mess 'em up. They work as well for breakfast with
  jam or honey as they do with with dinner. Sometimes I substitute
  whole wheat flour for up to half the bread flour called for.

  I've successfully halved the recipe (3 cups bread flour, 1 pkg yeast
  or about 1-1/2 ts bulk) in my Hitachi ABM--BUT, BUT, BUT--I _don't_
  add the full amount of water at once. Rather, I start out with about
  7/8 cup and then dribble enough add'l water into the bread pan during
  the early stages of the knead cycle 'til the dough "looks right".

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.03

      Title: Hot Yeast Rolls
 Categories: Breads
      Yield: 30 servings

      2 pk Active dry yeast
      1 tb Granulated sugar
    1/4 c  Water,very warm
    1/4 c  Butter,cut into small pieces
      2 c  Milk,warm
      6 c  Flour,all-purpose
      1 ts Salt
    1/4 c  Butter,melted

  1. In a large bowl sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water (should
  feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist) and allow to stand until
  bubbly, about 10 minutes. 2. Combine butter and milk in top of double
  boiler over simmering water until butter has melted and milk is warm.
  Add to yeast mixture and stir until blended. Mix in 2 cups of the
  flour, 1 cup at a time, and beat well to form a spongy dough. Cover
  and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about 1-1/2 to 2
  hours. Stir down with wooden spoon, then add about 3 more cups of
  flour to form a moist dough that is firm enough to turn out onto a
  well-floured board. 3. Dip hands in flour and knead dough until
  smooth and nonsticky, adding additional flour as needed. The dough
  should be velvety-smooth. 4. Form into a ball and place in a
  well-buttered, warm mixing bowl. Turn ball of dough so that entire
  surface of dough is coated with softened butter. Cover and again
  place in a warm place until double in bulk, about 1 hour. 5. Punch
  dough down, turn out onto a lightly floured board, and let rest for
  about 5 minutes. 6. Roll out to a thickness of about 1/2 inch cut
  with a floured knife first into approximate 2-inch squares, then into
  triangles. Roll up from wide side to point and place on baking sheet
  about 1/4 inch apart. When all are prepared, brush with melted butter
  and again let rise until about double in bulk, about 30 minutes. 7.
  Bake in a preheated 350'F. oven until lightly browned, 25 to 30
  minutes, depending on size. To test for doneness gently tap top of
  roll for a hollow sound or break open one roll to see if it is
  sufficiently baked in the center.

For Those Looking for great recipes here's a very nice archive and a great Gal Too..
Kath's Recipe Swap Homepage
http://www.cyberspc.mb.ca/~pickell/recipe.html