Mary Peter's Bread Machine Challah

Mary Flather Peters <mary@qur.nrl.navy.mil>
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 14:31:47 EDT
v096.n035.2
Mary Peter's Bread Machine Challah

 I have a Hibachi 1.5 lb machine and the specified order
for ingredients is wet then dry. When I am there, I add the
yeast about 30 sec. after it starts mixing. Otherwise just
put it on top of the dry ingredients. I  use the dough setting
and then braid and bake it by hand.

2 large eggs
5/8 cup water (tepid)
1.5 Tbl oil   (corn or other bland oil)
1/2 tsp salt
4.5 Tbl sugar
3 cups flour  (I use bread flour)
2.25 tsp rapid rise yeast

Add to machine in the manufacturers prefered order (Hitachi is wet
first, but dry first works fine in other machines). Select dough
mode. Remove when first rise is finished and punch down on a
floured surface (dough is slightly sticky and very puffy). After
resting for a few minutes, divide into
thirds, roll into ropes and braid. Let rise until almost doubled in
a warm place, about 45 minutes. I braid the loaf and place on a
slightly oiled cookie baking sheet to rise. Bake in a pre-heated 350 deg. F
oven for 25 minutes (approx). You can give it an egg wash,
but I find the loaves get nicely brown without it.

Regards,                            Mary Flather Peters
Mary                                mary.peters@nrl.navy.mil
                                    Naval Research Laboratory
                                    Code 7420
                                    Washington, DC 20375-5350