Re: Yeast storage (was: thanks again and question)

"Bill Hatcher" <bhatcher@gc.net>
Sun, 1 Sep 1996 20:49:02 -0400
v096.n038.2
> From: sdd@computek.net
> Subject: thanks again and question
> Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 10:18:53 +0000
>

> I wish to thank you again for all the recipies for challah. I have
> tried the one from Mary Peters several times and it comes out real
> nice. I still need to practice the braiding though.
>
> The question is how to store bulk yeast. When I needed yeast I saw
> that small jar was $4.00 in grocery and 2 lbs at Sam's was $3.00.
> This did not take any higher math (although Intel pentium said buy
> the jar ;->) to figure out which id better deal
> but how do you store the opened package? Can it be frozen?, just
> tightly sealed jar in refig? What is best way?
>
> Thanks again Stu
>
> Stuart D. Dwork

I just put the unopened half package from Sam's in the freezer.  I seal up
the opened package in a jar and also put that in the freezer.

I keep a small jar in the refrigerator for current use.  There is about
enough in this jar to last me a month, and then I refill from the freezer.

Have never had any problems doing it this way.

Regards.

Bill Hatcher
bhatcher@gc.net
Southampton County, Virginia, USA