Re: focaccia making method

"Brian D. Ross" <rossbd@cadvision.com>
Wed, 04 Sep 1996 13:09:09 -0600
v096.n038.14
I thought I would add my '2 cents worth' on this thread about focaccia methods. Here is a recipe I
have been using that I adapted from one of Donna Rathmell German's cookbooks (Flatbreads from around
the world). The origional recipe only called for 3 cups flour. It seems also to be a lot of oil, but
it produces a large loaf and quite a savory crust. You will notice it's a ABM recipe. The next time
I make this (probably next weekend), I'm going to try the topping from Bill's recipe.

FOCACCIA

 1 cup lukewarm water
 1/4 cup olive oil
 2 tsp. minced garlic
 2 tbs. chopped fresh basil or rosemary, or 2 tsp. dried
 1 tsp. sugar
 1/2 tsp. salt
 4 cups bread flour
 1 1/2 tsp. dry yeast (active or rapid)

    Add ingredients according to manufacturer's directions for your machine. Process on the Dough
cycle (or process on normal cycle and remove after the first rise, about 1 hour). Punch down and
shape into a 9- or 10-inch round.  Place in a deep dish pizza pan or on a baking sheet, cover and
let rise in a warm, draft-free location for 30 to 40 minutes.  After dough has risen, brush it all
over with olive oil, spread with finely slivered onion and/or garlic and more herbs. Press some of
the onion/garlic slivers into the dough to form small identations. Bake in a preheated 400 degree
oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

<<Brian D. Ross>>