CHIPOTLE_CORNBREAD.RCP

"~REality" <Ausetkmt@cris.com>
Sat, 7 Sep 1996 20:02:51 -0700
v096.n039.8
A Delicious Tex Mex Bread with a LowFat bonus..
Enjoy,
~RE

http://chile.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu:8000/www/recipe/FAT_FREE_CHIPOTLE_CORNBREAD.RCP
Chipotle Cornbread (fat free version)
>from "Bobby Flay's Bold American Food" (p. 167)

1 C coarsely ground yellow cornmeal
1 C all-purpose flour
2 T sugar               * 1 tsp sugar
1 t salt
1.5 t baking powder
1 large egg, lightly beaten  * 2 egg whites
0.5 C buttermilk             * 0.5 C 1% buttermilk
0.5 C milk                   * 0.5 C soy milk but obviously skim can be used
6 T unsalted butter, melted  * 6 T apple sauce
4 canned chipotles, pureed
Shortening                   * Pam could also use pam plus flour

1.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and prehead two 6-inch cast
    iron skillets in the oven for 20 minutes.
        * I used 1 8-inch round pie pan

2.  In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt
    and baking powder.  Fold in the egg, buttermilk, milk,
    butter, and pureed chipotles

3.  Brush the preheated pans with shortening and immediately
    pour in the batter, approximately three-fourths of the way
    up.  Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cornbread is brown
    around the edges and firm.  Cut each cornbread into 4
    wedges.

Note:  So, here is the original recipe.  The changes I made are marked by
*, basically I adapted it so that it would be fat free.  It tasted
great!  I have no idea how it compares to the original recipe as
I didn't try it, but if anyone tries both, I would love to hear
how they compare.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did!
-Jessica
>From the Chile-Heads Recipe Collection