Sauerkraut Rye Bread

bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us (Bonnie Briscoe)
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 11:17:19 -0500
v096.n040.13
I created this moist, flavorful bread this week when we needed something
for a sandwich supper.  We really enjoyed it with ham and a wonderful aged
Gouda cheese, but it would also be great with corned beef and Swiss cheese.

** Sauerkraut Rye Bread **

3/4 cup chopped and well-drained sauerkraut (half of a 14.5-ounce can)
1 cup water
3 tablespoons olive oil (I used extra-virgin)
2 tablespoons light unsulphured molasses
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/4 cups Gold-n-White flour (may substitute unbleached or bread flour)
1 1/4 cups pumpernickel rye flour
1 cup whole wheat bread flour
3 tablespoons gluten flour
1/4 cup buttermilk powder
1 1/2 tablespoons caraway seed
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (or 2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast)

        Place all ingredients in bread pan in order listed, or in the order
recommended for your machine. Set controls for whole wheat bread with
medium crust and start machine. Makes one 1.5-pound loaf.
NOTE:  Because the moisture content of the sauerkraut may vary, you might
have to add a bit more bread flour. Check the dough after about five
minutes of kneading and if it is sticky and has not formed into a ball,
sprinkle in more flour a tablespoonful at a time until it is firm enough.

Regards,

Bonnie Briscoe

Bonnie Briscoe                   internet: bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us
Briscoe & Associates -- Editorial Services & Training Program Development
500 East Third St.                                    phone: 320-589-1258
Morris, MN, USA 56267                                   fax: 320-589-1754
        Language is all that separates us from the lower animals--
                        and from the bureaucrats.