LIR119@delphi.com
Mon, 09 Sep 1996 17:54:24 -0500 (EST)
v096.n040.15
Responding to these issues:

Best bread machine:
Read consumers reports re bread machines and also ask
people you know who have them ( likes and dislikes ). So far I have owned
Dak, Wellbuit and now Toastmaster Plantinum and have been very satisfied.I
owned an American Harvest ( double loaf ) which I cant personally recommend.
Get a hold of some bread machine cookbooks and there you will find the
author's critique of many of the machines.

Generally most all machines do a very sufficient job of baking good
bread.Then you have to decide if you want a round or square loaf ( etc. )
machines with extras ( butter and jam and quick bread cycles ) or a basic
machine ( white, wholewheat, sweet, dough mode etc. )So do a bit of leg
work before you shop!

Yeast/water question:
when the yeast comes in contact with water it is immediately activated. This
early activation can cause overrise/growth and then a collapse since the
gluten strands may rupture. So that is why you see the instructions to add
the yeast with the dry ingredients for abm's.

Powdered egg whites:
I as Chef Larry, have used powdered egg whites to
replace eggs in baking recipes. From my personal experience I have not been
overly pleased since my baked goods come out much drier than using egg
beaters or even regular egg whites. Egg whites whether beaten or not tend
to lighten the structure of the baked good ( advantage ) but then on the
other hand cause earlier drying out of the baked good (disadvantage ).
Id like to hear from others their experience with the powdered whites.

Pulverized added ingredients:
Most bread machines will instruct you to add the extras ( nuts, raisins etc.
) at the beep which is usually the last 10 minutes of the last kneading
cycle. If your machine doesnt have the beep for all cycles, then get familar
with the length of the kneading cycles and add accordingly.

Anadama question: when I convert a favorite recipe to the bread machine
I usually use this ratio: 3 cups flour, 1 1/4 cups liquid, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp
sugar, 2 tsp active yeast.Now when it comes to the extras ( i.e. egg, oil,
additional liquids) then you have to adjust it which means the flour may be
increased if the liquids increased. Or you can choose to have all the wets
equal the liquid and keep the flour the same. As far as increasing fat: from
my experience the extra fat will certainly produce a moister loaf, possibly
doughy. Whatever ratio you try, you must have a soft pliable sl. tacky dough
ball in the bread machine for proper bread consistency. It may take a while
to find the ratio you need for the bread because of the other added
ingredients such as cornmeal which has no gluten in it. Anadama is not such
a cut and dry recipe as others.I have a few recipes for the abm if you want
me to send them or post them. Or:
 If you send me your recipe, Id be
more than willing to help you try to convert it as I have seen quite a few
variations of anadama bread with various recipe ingredients.

For the requestor re Sourdough: SOURDOUGH BLUBERRY MUFFINS
I havent tried this but it sure looks good :)

3/4 c sourdough starter ( approx )*
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated canned milk
1 egg
1 cup bluberries or raisins
3/4 tsp baking soda

Mix everything together, adding starter* " last" to to make a mixture which
holds together nicely. Do not beat vigorously. Fill greased muffin tins half
full and bake 375 for about 30 minutes and test done before removing.
Source: Sourdough Jack's Cookery ( Jack Mabee, sourdough expert )

Last but not least, more of my unusual but tasty bread posts:
Heres a nice appetizer bread: I have a ton of mint and this recipe is nice
for Mid East or Med Rim menues. Note: it is not a dessert type recipe!

OLIVE MINT QUICK BREAD
1 1/2 cups cured black olives
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tbs. baking powder ( yes )
2 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup fresh chopped mint
2 eggs
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated onion
2/3 cup milk

Crush olives and discard pits, then drain and chop. Mix all dry ingredients
together and stir in olives. Mix liquids together with onion. Add wet to dry
ingredients, stirring only to blend well. Transfer to an oiled loaf pan and
bake in mid oven rack 350 for 1 hour or tested done. Remove from pan to
finish cooling. Let cool completely before cutting. this goes nice with
tabolah salads, humus and such menu items.

Joan,"Flour Power"

`[1;31;46mRainbow V 1.18.3 for Delphi - Registered