2 Great recipes for the Holidays

"Cheryl Sousa" <cls@math.ams.org>
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:46:40 -0400
v096.n041.1
	Just in time for the upcoming holidays.	Here's two wonderful
	bread recipes that I'd like to share with everyone.
	Imported from "Great Bread Machine Recipes" by Norman A. Garrett

	I've had lots of compliments and requests for more.
	Voted by our "bread consumers" as the best 2 recipes for sweet breads.

	PUMPKIN-PIE BREAD  1 1/2 Lb loaf

	2 teaspoons active dry yeast
	9 tablespoons sugar
	1/2 teaspoon ginger
	1 teaspoon cinnamon
	1/2 teaspoon dried lemon peel
	3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
	1 teaspoon salt
	2 1/4 cups bread flour
	1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin (or squash)
	3 ounces orange juice
	3 ounces warm water
	2 eggs
	1 1/2 tablespoons butter

  Most of our bread eaters like a lighter consistency bread
  so I substitute the wheat flour with bread flour.
  I cut back on the sugar a bit and use egg whites (less fat and calories).
  This makes a wonderfully light loaf that has a sweet pumpkin zip ...

  Experiment by adding raisins, nuts and/or seeds ....

   	GRAPE-NUTS BREAD 1 1/2 lb loaf.

	1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
	1 tablespoon dough enhancer (optional)
	1/2 Cup Grape-Nuts cereal
	1 1/2 tablespoons dry milk
	3 tablespoons sugar
	1 1/2 teaspoons salt
	1 1/4 cups wheat flour
	1 1/2 cups bread flour
	1 1/2 tablespoons butter
	9 ounces warm water

    The wheat flour makes this bread slightly dense.
    I add 1/3 cup of raisins for flavor and texture.

    ENJOY!!