Re: Sourdough starter

"Bill Hatcher" <bhatcher@gc.net>
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 09:42:48 -0400
v096.n043.4
> From:          bread-bakers-errors@lists.best.com
> Subject:       Digest bread-bakers.v096.n042
> To:            bread-bakers@lists.best.com

> From: John Wingate <wingatjp@sun1.bham.ac.uk>
> Subject: Sourdough starter
> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 20:24:33 +0000
>
> A recent posting had a recipe for Sourdough Bread for ABM's, which we'd like
> to try. This recipe has "Sourdough starter" but we're not sure what this is.
> How do you make it? We have a 1lb Panasonic breadmaker.
>
> John & Verity from England

John & Verity -

Here is an excerpt from a message on making starter that I have sent to several
people:

= = = = =

Sourdough Starter

In a non-reactive container (I use a quart-size  plastic peanut butter or
mayonaisse jar with a plastic lid) mix together 1 1/2 cups water, 1 1/2
cups flour and 2 tsp yeast.  Let set at room temperature for about 5
days, stirring gently each day.  It will have a nice (to me) yeasty,
beery aroma.  After 5 days, if you aren't going to use it, screw the cap
on and refrigerate.

When ready to use, about 12 hours before you use it, add 1 cup each of
water and flour.  It will foam up quite nicely and after the 12 hours or
so, take out the amount you need for the recipe and close the lid on the
rest and refrigerate.

The next time you are ready to make a sourdough recipe, just take it out,
add the appropriate amount of water and flour at a 1:1 ration and let set
12 hours at room temp.  If I go more than 2 or 3 weeks without using the
starter (rare indeed), I take it out and feed it anyway and then feed the
excess to my 2 coon hounds.  [The coon hounds are ~not~ necessary to the
recipe ::)) ].

I have on occasion been in a hurry to make a sourdough something or other, and
then I would use very warm water (100F) when I fed the starter; it was usually
ready in 4 to 6 hours then. [You can tell; it will be nice and foamy; sometimes
after a full 12 hours, the foam will have subsided a bit, but it is still ready
to use - I stir the foam down anyway]

There are many variations in sourdough starters; I have one from the WWW
Sourdough Site that is similar to the above, but also uses a couple of
tbs each of sugar and vinegar.  I keep it going too.

= = = = =

This makes a very good starter and I use it frequently; as a matter of fact my
jar is sitting on the counter right now ready to use.  I fed it last night
around 9PM and am about to make Sunday morning hotcakes with it.

I have some other sourdough recipes; if you would like them, email me
privately.

Regards.

Bill Hatcher
bhatcher@gc.net