Customizing Recipes

David Schellenberg <dschellenberg@man.net>
Wed, 02 Oct 96 15:11:11 -0600
v096.n046.2
The recipe that follows was in last weeks Digest.  It looks like something I
would love to eat, so I tried it.  I made two changes from the beginning: I
substituted pistachios for walnuts, and, since I couldn't get unsalted
pistachios, I reduced the added salt to 1 1/2 tsp.

First of all, my machine (a 2 lb Black & Decker) almost stalled because the
dough was so stiff with the listed amount of liquid.  I added more until the
amount of liquid totaled 1 1/2 cup.  Even so, the loaf came out with a
gnarly top.  My instruction book says this is a sign of insufficient liquid.
 How does one account for the different amounts of liquid required?

Second, the bread did not rise as much as my most successful breads do, and
the texture is fairly doughy.  Suppose next time I make this, I use 1 1/2
cups plus 1 TBSP liquid; would getting the dough stiffness right also help
the amount of rise and texture?

Incidently, I hadn't previously thought of adding the cinnimon with the
raisins and nuts, and I found that doing it later leaves nice swirling
patterns in the finished bread - kind of attractive.

> CINNAMON RAISIN ( NUT ) BREAD
> 2 lb recipe ( a hugh loaf)
>
> 1 cup plus 6 tbs water
> 2 tbs oil
> 1 tsp lemon juice
> 2 tsp salt
> 3 tbs lt brown sugar
> 2 tbs dry milk
> 4 1/2 cups bread flour
> 1 tbs active dry yeast
> ( I use SAF yeast use and only use 2 1/2 tsp )
> 1 tbs cinnamon
> 2/3 cup raisins
> 2/3 cup walnuts
>
> For toatmaster place ingredients in order listed ( otherwise follow your
> manufactures instructions ) except raisins, nuts and cinnamon ! Select >
sweet bread program. light crust ( I use medium and its fine ). Add