converting recipes to hand

Cherie Ambrosino <Cherie_Ambrosino@cch.com>
21 Oct 96 10:23:08
v096.n050.12
 Hi - Laura was asking about converting recipes - I clip and use recipes of all
types from the list - I used to use a machine, then baked for a year or so by
hand and now use a kitchen-aid.  If you want to use a "machine" recipe - go
right ahead - I just save out a little water and flour and add and adjust as
needed - the only thing to pay attention to is the "loaf size" - there's a
great listing in Clayton's Book of Breads about how much flour leads to what
pan size - If you don't have the book I can post it another time [its at home]
- I have to say that I used to use large loaf pans [sort of meat loaf size] and
had okay success but sometimes my loaves didn't rise enough or just weren't
high enough in general - I always thought it was my fault - but it wasn't that
they didn't cook all the way or had a bad texture - after reading this chart I
invested in medium loaf pans - what a difference!  I use them for everything -
or else I use the super sandwich something or other breadpan I bought in a
moment of weakness from King Arthur [our hero!] which is good for one long loaf
using 4-5 cups of flour.  I'm sure the big pans would be good for a larger
recipe but its not worth adjusting.

 On second thought, I'll post that chart soon anyway - it sure helped me and
its certain to help someone out there.  I don't know why it seems to make such
a difference - the bread gods are generally so forgiving.  But it really has
changed the consistency with which I can turn out perfect looking loaves [well
not perfect of course but at least the right proportions!!]  I'll bring in some
extra recipies while I'm at it - but I must say that one thing I've learned,
particularly by trying all these methods - is that a recipe is not as important
as just knowing what the dough needs - once you get a feel for it or the way a
proper dough should look, its not hard to use any recipe and adjust as needed.
Truth be told I rarely use a recipe anymore - I just keep them for ideas - the
same way I do all my other cooking using cookbooks as reading material and
cooking out of my imagination.  Keep trying if this sounds impossible to you -
I was terrified of baking but once I learned the proper dough consistency I've
never had a failure.  [Now if I could just become that competent with baking
non-bread stuff! - the last frontier!]  Actually, I use recipes for a little
while until I get comfortable and then I quit - for example I'm just starting
to use sprouted grains - and that recipe book is never more than a foot away -
until I figure out how they really affect things.  One small step at a time -
have fun baking everybody!  Cherie