converting recipes

LIR119@delphi.com
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 09:06:42 -0500 (EST)
v096.n052.16
To the discussion of converting a recipe for the bread machine may I suggest
a general method I use. Remember that all bread machines are not equal so
therefore this guide is a" general" ball park fiqure for conversion so to
speak:

STANDARD RATIO OF INGREDIENTS FOR THE ABM:

3 cups bread flour + or -
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
1 1/4 cup liquid  + or -

Place ingredients into breadmaker as manufacturer instructs. Lead knead a
few minutes. Add either more flour or more water to produce a pliable
nonsticky dough ball. when pressed with finger dough should be sl tacky but
no dough should adhere to your finger.

When it comes to things as eggs, liquids, oil etc be sure to count this into
the liquid portion total.When it comes to additions of nongluten flour like rye,
corn, or whole wheat etc. ( this has gluten but  the sharp
strands of its own gluten deflate the cells as they rise )  you can also
count this into the 3 cup total.

So look at the recipe you want to convert and
experiment in your bread machine. Usually after 1 or 2 tries youlll get it
right. Of course some recipes are not cut and dry, so extra experimenting may
be neccessary.

Following example:  this is a 4 non standard
loaf which I wanted to convert for my abm

WALNUT BREAD
straight dough method
yield: 4 loaves

5 cups flour (or more )
1 tbs salt
2 tbs sugar
2 pkt yeast
2 cups warm milk
1/2 cup walnut oil
or
fruity olive oil
or
1 stick butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup chopped onion

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk till foamy. sift flour, sugar, salt into
a large bowl.Make a well in the flour mixture and add the yeast mixturee,
with oil or melted butter and the remaining milk.Knead dough until springy
adding more flour if necessary. cover and let rise in a warm place until
double.Punch down and mix in walnuts and onions.Shape into 4 rounds and
place in a greased casserole dishes. Let rise double. Bake 400 for 45 minutes
or until done and golden. Remove to racks to cool.

WALNUT ONION BREAD FOR THE ABM

3 cups bread flour + or -
1 tsp salt
2 tbs sugar
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup milk ( or water )+ or -
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped onion

Place ingredients in the order as instructed by manufacturer.Add more flour
or water or whatever the case to get the plaible non sticky dough consisitency.
During the last 10 minutes of the last kneading cycle ( or if your machine beeps
to indicate additions ) add the nuts and onions. I use the regular cycle for
white bread ( my machine is a toastmaster)

Note: often some
breads made with walnuts will have a reddish brown discoloration
coming from the nuts.It doesnt alter the taste though.

Hope this helps people who want to convert recipes.
All it takes is time and experimentation.  If you get to know your
ingredients and how they function in a bread recipe then you are certainly
off to a good start!

Good luck!

Joan
Joan,"Flour Power"

'

`[1;33;40mRainbow V 1.18.3 for Delphi - Registered