baking by hand; convert machine recipe to hand-made

fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 16:14:16 -0500 (EST)
v096.n056.3
Thinking furiously, Elaine wrote:
> --------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v096.n054.18 ---------------
>
> From: witchy@sullivan.hwy66.com
> Subject: Re: Digest bread-bakers.v096.n050
>
> I hope that I am posting this right. Please excuse me if I am not,
> but let me know.
>
> My name is Elaine and I love baking bread. I don't use a bread
> machine. I was wondering if those of us that don't use these machines
> are on here also? If so, cool.

Elaine:

I've only been on the list for a few weeks, and it certainly looks as
if most of the postings are related to bread machines. But I can assure
you that I always bake by hand. Seems to me that a lot of the pleasure of
making bread is to actually MAKE it myself, not have a machine do the
work for me (the other large chunk of the pleasure is being able to EAT
the result!!!! :=).

> I was also wondering if there is
> anyone who is good and willing to take a bread machine recipe and
> make it into a regular recipe? Is it possible to just take the
> ingredients and do the rest by nature?

I've never done that, so I don't have a conversion recipe. But I suggest
that you shouldn't be afraid to experiment with bread recipes...
sometimes you'll get an inedible mess, but others you'll get something
perfectly nice.  I get the impression from reading this list that
machine recipes tend to be a bit softer than hand-made recipes, so for
starters you may want to try a simple recipe, by hand, and if it seems
soft, try working in a little extra flour until you get a good texture.
Once you've figured this out, you could try adjusting the volume of
dough to better fit your baking pans.

Fred
--
 .----    Fred Smith    /                        Office: fred@computrition.com