Softening honey and other uses for a microwave

Susan Chapin <schapin@mitre.org>
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:58:48 -0500
v096.n061.3
Someone asks about re-liquifying honey.  Remove the metal lid and put the
jar in the microwave, wave on low for a short while.  Monitor your progress
since you don't want to cook the outside layer of honey.  You will soon
have enough liquid honey for making your bread.  Or of course you could
simply dig out the amount you need and use it in its crystallized form.

The microwave is very useful also for getting all your ingredients to room
temperature before you put them in the bread machine.  30 seconds on half
power warms 3 cups refrigerated flour;  30 seconds on high warms 1 cup
chilly water.

This matters to me, since I keep my flour (my many 2-lb bags of non-wheat
flours) in the refrigerator or sometimes the freezer and don't use the
time-ahead function of the ABM.  Just don't put yeast in the microwave --
you will kill it (the yeast, that is).

	- susan