Dinosaur bread - manual recipe

Jay Ekers <jekers@magna.com.au>
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 02:40:16 +1100
v096.n063.14
Elaine and Ken, there is at least one more mamnual
bread maker on the list.
The machines are still very expensive here - luckily
I enjoy kneading bread by hand <g>

Many years ago the childrens magazine, My Big Backyard,
published a recipe for Dinosaur Bread.  It was a great hands-on
morning at the cooperative nursery school my son then attended,
and I still make it occasionally (son is now in high school).

The recipe makes 16 small dinosaurs in the hands of children, or
8 medium sized dinner rolls (I make the mock plaits described
in the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book.)

1 package  of dried yeast    (a scant  tablespoon)
frothed with
1.5 cups of warm water
1 tablespoon sugar

(For the nursey school, I put a thin disposable latex glove over the
frothing jug - the gasses produced  really did blow it up!
The kids were blase but I was impressed.)

After it is well frothed add about 4 cups of all purpose or bread flour
and knead well.
(The recipe called for 1 teaspoon of salt to be added with the flour
but I omit it).

Form rolls, or dinosaurs.
Brush the tops with milk and beaten egg, or dust with flour.

Let rise a while - depending on how long the dough was played with!.
Bake at 425F for about 20 mins if start with a cold oven,
or about 15 mins if oven preheated.

Thin bits of the animals are hard by the time a thick body is cooked
but, at least to the child-cook and long suffering parents, they are
edible - just watch your teeth on any hard bits!

Jay