injera info/ breads by hand/ re honey

LIR119@delphi.com
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 08:24:37 -0500 (EST)
v096.n064.1
For the requestor re Injera:
Injera is made with a flour indiginous to Ethiopia.Tef is a type of
millet flour.

When the batter is made, it is allowed to ferment for several days. It
becomes soured. the batter is poured into a hot skillet and escaping gas
bubbles rise to the surface making the bread pitted and pockmarked producing
a bread with a soured but pleasant taste.

There have been a variety of recipes trying to imitate Injera as best as
possible. I seen recipes using pancake mix, biscuit mix, beer, club soda
and various flours.

I pulled this one off the net: it may be a bit difficult but I liked it very
much when I tried it.

MM: Injera
---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.03

      Title: Injera
 Categories: Breads, Ethnic
      Yield: 5 servings

      1 c  BUCKWHEAT PANCAKE MIX
      1 c  BISCUIT MIX
      1    EGG
           Add:
      1 tb OIL
  1 1/2    To 2 cups WATER to obtain an
           Easy pouring consistency.

  Bring a 10-inch skillet or a handled griddle pan to
  medium heat uniformly over the flame. Do not let the
  pan get too hot.

  Spread 1/2 tsp. OIL over the pan with a brush.

  Fill a measuring cup (with spout) or a large cream
  pitcher with batter.

  Pour the mixture on the hot pan or griddle in a thin
  stream starting from the outside and going in circles
  to the center from left to right. As soon as it
  bubbles uniformly all over remove from heat. Pancakes
  should be 9 inches in diameter.

  Place the pan in an oven at 325' for about 1 minute
  until the top is dry but not brown.

  Arrange the five pancakes overlapping each other so as
  to completely cover a fifteen-inch tray, thus forming
  the Injera "tablecloth."

  This unleavened bread of Ethiopia is really a huge
  pancake made by the women in special large pans with
  heavy covers. The Tef batter is saved from an earlier
  baking and added to the new batter to give it a
  sourdough quality. It is poured at a thin consistency
  and baked covered so that the bottom of the pancake
  does not brown. The top should be full of air holes
  before the pancake is covered. The heavy cover steams
  the pancake so that when it is finished it looks like
  a huge thin rubber sponge. Since Tef is not available
  here, we had to find a way to simulate Injera in our
  test kitchen. The combination of buckwheat flour mix
  and biscuit mix seems to produce the closest
  substitute. Making it is easy, but getting the Injera
  texture takes a bit of experimentation, first, because
  not all pancake mixes are alike and secondly, it is
  important to cook the pancake at just the right
  temperature. This takes a bit of practice.

-----

To the person who wonders if others post handmade bread recipes on this
mailing list:

I enjoy bread-Bakers because one finds " all"  bread related
information here as well as all kinds of recipes.

I for one as well as  other contributors do post handmade bread recipes.
Im sure if you check the
bread archives you'll see many of my handmade bread recipes as well as
other peoples recipes. Good work Reggie, nice archives!

Re Honey:  I buy my honey in the large 5 lb plastic jug. Ive had mine since
Sept and it hasnt crystalized yet. I keep it in a cool cupboard, well
sealed. When it does harden I place the plastic jug in the micro and heat it
for several minutes until part of the honey liquifies. I pour off the amount I
need. You have to be careful not to heat it to hot or the plastic jug will
get very soft and can melt. If honey comes in glasss containers then I place
the container in a pot of very hot water and let the honey sit there
until it liquifies. Just remember that when that honey cools again it will
get to the hard state again.

Joan,"Flour Power"

`[1;31;41mRainbow V 1.18.3 for Delphi - Registered