Re: flour worm problem

Mark_Judman@colpal.com (Mark Judman)
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 09:42:30 -0500
v096.n066.2
     gladys m hayward <ghayward@illuminet.net> wrote:

     >i have a flour problem.. that rears its ugly head every so often.
     >i will buy brand new sack of flour... i keep all my flour, including
     >my specialty flours, in tupper ware air tight sealed cannisters.. and
     >i am careful to put the cannisters thru the diswasher each time i
     >refill them... now... flour will look just fine; then... few days
     >later... i open it... and i find these darned ugly looking little
     >brownish whitish worms  ... they sorta a little bigger than a rice
     >kernel... ughh....

     First of all, they're not worms, they're insects, or more
     specifically, the larvae of some kind of insect.  After they eat
     enough they will pupate and hatch out into cute or ugly insects that
     will mate and lay more eggs in your flour.  There's nothing wrong with
     using air-tight contains, they will keep your other grains from
     getting infested.  The problem is, you're buying flour that's already
     infested with the creatures -- most likely they eggs of the creatures,
     which then hatch into the hungry little larvae you see.

     Advise #1:  Change your source of supply.  The flour you buy is
     probably being improperly stored before you buy it, if it gets
     infested like that.  I long ago stopped buying flour from open barrels
     in health-food stores for that reason.

     Advise #2:  Kill the larvae or eggs before they hatch.  A friend gave
     me this advise regarding basmati rice, which is frequently infested:
     when you buy it, stick it in the freezer for a week or two.
     Supposedly, the creatures can't surve that much cold for that long.
     You can then take it out of the freezer and as long as you keep it
     tightly closed, you should have no trouble.

     Good luck.

     Oh yeah, I too am a mostly lurking strictly manual bread baker, but
     more about that some other time.

     Mark Judman <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>