rosemary bread

Sara Ayers <ayers@wadsworth.org>
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 11:04:28 -0500 (EST)
v096.n070.20
Tangy Rosemary Peasant Bread

I made this for my mother as a Christmas gift. This makes a 2 pound loaf:

Combine:
     3/4 Cup warm water
     1 Tablespoon sugar
     2 Teaspoons yeast

When the yeast has proofed, add:
     1 Cup sourdough starter
     1 Cup yogurt (you can substitute sourdough starter for this)
     1/2 Teaspoon salt
     2 Teaspoons ground rosemary
     « Cup whole wheat flour

Add enough white flour (about 4 cups) to make a barely sticky dough. Knead
until elastic. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk. Punch down
and shape the loaf and let rise again.

I bake this in a clay cloche because it makes a wonderful crust. To do
this, shape the loaf in the cloche bottom and let rise the 2nd time.
Preheat the cover for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Put the cover on
the bottom and bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 15 minutes
more.

If you don't have a cloche, just bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, until the
loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.

-- Sara Ayers