Re: Dog biscuit recipe

Julia West <classact@i1.net>
Fri, 03 Jan 1997 00:55:36 -0600
v097.n001.11
I posted this awhile back, but I didn't see it in the last two digests,
so I'm posting it again. My apologies if it appears twice.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                         Nice Spice Dog Biscuits

Recipe By     : Gourmet Dog Biscuits: A Cookbook of Tasty Treats . . .
Serving Size  : 48   Preparation Time :6:30
Categories    : Dog Treats

   1 1/2  cups          unbleached all-purpose flour
   1 1/2  cups          whole-wheat flour
     1/2  cup           cornmeal
   2      tablespoons   nonfat dry milk powder
   1      teaspoon      ground cinnamon
   1      teaspoon      ground nutmeg
   1 1/2  teaspoons     ground allspice
   1                    egg -- slightly beaten
   1      cup           water
                        (use 1 to 1-1/4 cups water)

   Stir together flours, cornmeal, dry milk powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and
allspice in a large bowl. Add egg, then begin adding water gradually,
stirring with a wooden spoon. Add just enough water to produce a very
stiff dough. If you add too much water and dough is no longer stiff, add
a little more flour. Knead the dough with your hands to create a smooth
texture.
   Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick. (It helps if
the top and bottom of the dough are lightly floured.) Use a cookie
cutter to cut out biscuits. Place biscuits about 1/2 inch apart on
lightly greased cookie sheets.
   Bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. The biscuits should be lightly
browned and should not be moist inside. Turn off oven and leave biscuits
inside without opening oven door for 5 hours, or overnight, to let them
harden. Store in an airtight container.
   Yield: About 4 dozen (3-by-1-inch) biscuits.

This recipe appeared in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Dec. 14, 1996.
The recipe is from "Gourmet Dog Biscuits: A Cookbook of Tasty Treats for
Your Favorite Fido" by Carole Horstmeyer. According to the article, the
book is available at Borders Books and Music in Sunset Hills, MO, at
Dora-Bunny's Boutique in St. Charles, MO, and at Cornucopia, and
Whiskers and Wags in Kirkwood, MO. To order from the author, send $9.90
($7.95 plus $1.95 postage and handling) to: Gourmet Dog Biscuits Book,
c/o Crafts and Cre-"ate"-tions, P.O. Box 25434, St. Louis, MO  63125.

Nutr. Assoc. : 14 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0