Pumpernickel Bread Recipe from the Fleischmann's Yeast Web site (fwd)

bgl@leass.PCC.COM (Barbara Leass)
Tue, 7 Jan 97 23:50:30 CST
v097.n002.12

> Hello
>
>  wanted to share the following recipe with you from
> the Fleischmann's Yeast World Wide Web site. For more recipes and many
> helpful baking tips, visit us at http://www.breadworld.com
>
>  also had the following to say:
    Hi everyone!
     I was playing on the web and found this site.. Thought this looked
   like it might be a nice recipe..I have not tried it .....
     Enjoy!
     Barbara

Pumpernickel Bread

Makes 1 loaf.
Do not make loaves longer than recommended by manufacturer.
Use the 1-pound recipe if your bread machine pan holds 10 cups or less of
water.

INGREDIENTS                        1-POUND LOAF         1 1/2-POUND LOAF

Water (70 to 80 degrees F)                 3/4 cup              1 cup
Dark molasses                      1 tablespoon         2 tablespoons
Vegetable oil                      1 tablespoon         1 tablespoon
Distilled white vinegar            1 tablespoon         4 teaspoons
Packed brown sugar                 4 teaspoons          2 tablespoons
Unsweetened cocoa                  1 1/2 teaspoons      2 1/4 teaspoons
Instant coffee granules            1 1/2 teaspoons      2 1/4 teaspoons
SPICE ISLANDS Minced Onions        1 teaspoon           1 1/2 teaspoons
SPICE ISLANDS Whole Caraway Seed   1 teaspoon           1 1/2 teaspoons
Salt                               3/4 teaspoon         1 teaspoon
Bread flour                        1 1/2 cups           2 cups
Medium rye flour                   1 cup                1 1/2 cups
FLEISCHMANN'S Bread Machine Yeast  1 1/2 teaspoons      2 teaspoons

Measure all ingredients into bread machine pan in the order suggested by
manufacturer.

Process on basic/white bread cycle; use medium/normal crust color setting.
Remove bread from pan; cool on wire rack.

Nutrition information per serving (1 slice):  calories 159; total fat 2 g;
saturated fat 0 g; cholesterol 0 mg; sodium 203 mg; total carbohydrate 31
g; dietary fiber 3 g; protein 4 g.

MEASURING INGREDIENTS:

To measure liquid, pour into transparent liquid-ingredient measuring cup;
read measurement at eye level.

To measure flour, spoon into standard dry-ingredient measuring cup; level
with straight-edged knife.

CHECKING DOUGH CONSISTENCY: Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; it
should form a soft, smooth ball around the blade.  If dough is too stiff or
dry, add additional liquid, 1 teaspoon at a time, until dough is of the
right consistency.  If dough is too soft or sticky, add additional bread
flour, 1 teaspoon at a time.