Help with brand?

Mary Yohn <jyohn@pclink.com>
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 14:31:16 -0600
v097.n005.5
I've never had a breadmaker but want to buy a good one.  The
choices are confusing, but I've pretty much narrowed the brands
down to Panasonic, Zojirushi (sp?) and the Breadman (Ultra or
Ultimate).  Still have a few questions.

(1) How is the Panasonic "patented yeast dispenser" different
    from other machines?  Do the other machines just mix the
    yeast in with the other ingredients, while the Panasonic
    mixes it in later -- or what???

(2) Do any of the machines make quick breads (e.g., banana
    bread, carrot bread, etc.) that don't require kneading
    or rising time?  Or only yeast breads?

(3) For machines with a cake cycle, is the cake actually baked
    in the machine?

(4) I am assuming the machines with dough cycles could be used
    to make breads that don't rely on yeast as the leavening agent;
    e.g., some recipes for East Indian naan use only baking powder
    for the leavening agent, but are still kneaded and allowed to
    rise the way yeast breads are.

(5) In the picture of the Breadman Ultimate (which seems to make a
    regular loaf shape instead of a rectangle or tall, narrow loaf)
    there are cinnamon rolls.  These have to be baked in an oven,
    right?

(6) Can anyone offer insight into exactly how these machines work???

Hope you don't mind all these newbie questions.  I'll help anyone
who wants to know about sewing machines.  :)  If possible, email
me at jyohn@pclink.com as well as posting to the list.  All advice
welcome.  TIA.

Mary