Crispy Pizza Crust

John Levin <jlevin@paonline.com>
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 22:44:47 -0500
v097.n006.12
At 11:44 PM 1/19/97 -0800, mread@creighton.edu wrote:>
>I have had good luck in making the pizza crust crispy by substituting a
>small amount of semolina (pasta flour) to the flour (About 1/4 cup semolina
>flour to about 1 1/4 c reg or bread flour)

Haven't tried that (semolina flour is sometimes hard to get and expensive),
but I think the real trick to crispy crust is a good hot oven and a good hot
stone.  When I switched from 450 degrees to 500 degrees it made quite a
difference.  I would let the stone soak in heat for at least 1/2 hour, and
let it sit for about 5-10 minutes between pizzas (if you're making more than
one). One warning though, if you use cornmeal on the stone, it blackens
pretty quickly at the higher temperature, but can be easily scraped off with
a judiciously applied dough knife.