Shredded Wheat Bread

bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us (Bonnie Briscoe)
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 16:40:00 -0600
v097.n010.1
Recently someone asked for a honey wheat bread recipe. This bread uses
honey, butter, and some whole wheat flour, and it's easy to adapt the
recipe for different flavors (see the suggested variations). It's one of my
favorites.

Shredded Wheat Bread

This fine-textured bread is excellent for sandwiches or for toast. Try the
carrot-dill variation as an accompaniment for stew or a hearty soup.
Amounts are for one 1.5-pound loaf.

2 shredded wheat biscuits (I use the "pillow" kind)
11 ounces (1 cup + 6 tablespoons) boiling water**
2 tablespoons honey
2 cups bread flour or unbleached flour
3/4 cup whole wheat bread flour
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 tablespoons gluten flour
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons active dry yeast (or 1-3/4 teaspoons instant active dry yeast)

        Crumble shredded wheat biscuits into bread machine pan. Add honey
and boiling water, stir and let stand 30 minutes.
        Add remaining ingredients in order recommended by bread machine
manufacturer. Set controls for regular or basic bread. Makes one 1
1/2-pound loaf.
**NOTE:  Sometimes I have to add a bit more water, depending on how much is
absorbed by the shredded wheat.
OPTIONAL ADDITIONS: (choose carrot plus herbs or the seeds, not both,
unless you have a 2-pound loaf pan):
1/2 cup (2-1/2 ounces) shredded carrot (about 1 large carrot) plus
        1-1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1/3 cup sesame seeds or roasted unsalted sunflower seeds

- Bonnie Briscoe
bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us