drying out sourdough starters

yoda <yodafmly1@nternet.net>
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 06:53:04 -0500
v097.n010.6
RE:
>>From: "Robert and Carole Walberg" <walbergr@mb.sympatico.ca>
>>Subject: Drying out sourdough starter + Favourite Recipe
>>Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 14:40:53 -500

>>Recently I have been noticing postings about drying out sourdough
>>starters for storage.  Could anyone tell me how that is done and how
>>it is then reconstituted for later use...

This is out of Nancy Silverton's Breads of the La Brea Bakery:  Take one cup
of starter and spread it very thin on a parchment lined large cookie sheet.
Allow to dry at room temperature for 2 or 3 days, until completely dry.  Peel
flakes and place in an airtight container.

To reconstitute, add enough water to make one cup.  Let completely dissolve.
 Add 1 cup bottled water (the chlorine in tap water can kill the airborn
yeasts) and 1 1/4 cup flour.  Mix well and reserve 1 cup.  Discard rest.
Keep in a 2 quart container with a loose cover.  Feed 2 or 3 times a day, and
wait 5 days until using.

Ronda