Amish Friendship Bread

waltersr6@juno.com (Chrystal N Walters)
Sun, 9 Feb 1997 15:26:48 PST
v097.n012.3
As posted in the digest for 2/8/97 on how to make the starter for Amish
Freindship Bread:
>Your answer is in the recipe.  1 Cup Flour, 1 Cup Sugar & 1 Cup Milk.
>Usually the first full batch out of a new starter is not as "active" as
the
>future batches.  BTW, I use cocoa powder to dust the pan instead of
>cinamon-sugar.  I like the way it comes out better.
Amish Freindship Bread originally got it's name because after all the
mixing and waiting for 10 days, you made your bread and gave away ALL of
your starters to friends.  They in turn do the same and hopefully you get
a starter from one of them in 10 days.  If you do, then you will have a
loaf of bread every 20 days.  This bread is very good but it does get
tiring to have every 10 days.  Make arrangements with a friend so that
you can make bread every 20 days.
If the instructions for the starter were right (no flame intended :o) ), mix together in a large zipper-type bag:  1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup
milk.  Leave on your kitchen counter.
NOTES:  Do not use a metal spoon or bowl for mixing.  Do not refrigerate
starter.  Let air out of bag (especially in really warm climates-bags
have been known to explode).  Date the bag so you don't lose track, and
if you do, don't worry.  A few more days will just make a stronger
flavor.
Day 1	This is the day you make or receive a starter.  Do nothing.
Day 2  	Squeeze the bag.
Day 3	Squeeze the bag.
Day 4	Squeeze the bag.
Day 5	Squeeze the bag.
Day 6	Add 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk.
Day 7	Squeeze the bag.
Day 8	Squeeze the bag.
Day 9	Squeeze the bag.
Day 10	Combine in a large bowl:  The contents of the bag, 1 cup
flour, 1 	cup sugar, 1 cup milk.  Mix with wooden spoon.  Pour 4
1 cup 	starters in 4 large zipper-type bags.  Keep one and give
away the 	other 3 starters to friends along with the
instructions.  (Or give 	away all 4).
Still on Day 10, add to the remaining batter in the bowl (about 1/2 cup
batter left):
	1 cup oil			3 large eggs
	1 cup sugar			1 1/2 t. baking powder
	1 t. vanilla			1/2 t. salt
	2 c. flour			1/2 cup milk
	1/2 t. baking soda		2 t. cinnamon (I add 3 t.)
	1 large box (8 Serv.) instant vanilla pudding
	1 cup chopped pecans

Pour into 2 large well greased and sugared loaf pans (mix cinnamon and
sugar).  Sprinkle tops of batter with extra cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Bake at 325 degrees for one hour.

I've been told there is an Amish community where an 80 year old woman is
still making bread from starters that originated from her starter many,
many years ago.  I always manage to lose my starters after a couple of
months.
Enjoy!