Re: How do you make soft rolls

"Joan Mathew" <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 07:04:53 -0500
v097.n022.3
> Subject: How do you make soft rolls
> Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 14:20:19 -0600
>
> I love a nice soft roll with dinner, or a roll with a crusty
> exterior but nice and airy inside.  Unfortunately, many of
> my creations seem to be rather firm.  I have tried both my
> Black & Decker Bread Machine, along with my Kitchen Aid.
>
> Could it be that my flour is too hard?  I am using Bread flour.

When I make rolls and bread, I typically use only bread flour and/or
whole wheat flour; however, the other ingredients and how you
prepare the rolls often has an effect on how "firm" they are.

I just posted a couple of recipes for "lighter wheat breads" which
are very nice for making rolls, too.  I have also included some other
recipes here that can yield some very nice rolls, too.

All of these recipes are posted at my Web site, as well.

Enjoy,
Joan

Basic White Bread
-----------------------------
Yield:  2 pizzas or 2 standard-sized loaves or 16 rolls

Stir together:
approx. 6 to 6-1/2 c. bread flour (all-purpose can be substituted if
you wish) 3 T. granulated sugar 2 t. salt 1/4 t. ground ginger 2 T.
gluten flour 1/4 to 1/2 c. powdered milk (do not use for pizza dough)
3 T. soft shortening (optional in standard bread and rolls; do not use
for pizza)

Stir in:
4-1/2 to 6 t. granulated yeast (I use the instant stuff, but you can
use the longer-rising yeast if you wish)

Add:
2-1/4 c. warm water (approx. 110-120 degrees -- warm to the wrist)

FOR PIZZA:
I also add approximately 2-3 Tbsp. of good-quality olive oil, and
often some Italian spices such as rosemary, basil, thyme, savory, etc.

If you are using a KitchenAid, knead for approximately 9 minutes by
machine; otherwise, use your standard hand-kneading techniques.  Place
dough in a greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap or a tea
towel.  Place dough in a warm, draft-free location (in the summer my
hot garage serves as my "proofing oven") until it has doubled in bulk.
 Punch down; let rise again until doubled.  Punch down; divide dough
into two equal portions.

-------- FOR STANDARD BREAD:

Shape into loaves and place into greased loaf pans.  Cover loosely
with plastic wrap or tea towel.  Place in a warm location until dough
has risen approximately 1/4" to 1/2" above top of loaf pan.

Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 25
minutes. Remove loaves from pans; place loaves (without pans) back
into oven.  Bake for approximately 5-15 minutes longer until loaves
are golden-brown and sound hollow when tapped.

Remove loaves from oven; place on wire racks to cool thoroughly.

NOTE:  I use the basic proportions in this recipe to make most of my
breads, often substituting a portion of the bread flour with
whole-wheat or rye flour, adding ingredients such as cinnamon, egg,
raisins, etc.  You can also substitute warm milk for the warm water.
I often make sweet rolls, breakfast breads, white bread, wheat bread,
and so forth with the basic proportions presented here.

-------- FOR PIZZA:

Roll out dough into rounds, from 1/4" to 1/2" thick depending on how
thick you like your crusts (remember to allow for rising).  If you are
using a pizza peel, sprinkle some cornmeal on the peel and put dough
on peel before continuing; otherwise, place dough on baking sheet or
pan.  Prick dough all over gently -- don't make holes through bottom
or topping will drip through.  Brush dough lightly with olive oil,
making sure to brush around edges, as well.  Put toppings on dough
(e.g., tomato paste, pepperoni, cheese, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes,
cooked sausage or hamburger, etc.) and set aside until oven is
preheated.

Bake in preheated oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit until crust is
lightly golden and cheese starts to bubble and melt.  Remove from
oven; cut into sections and serve immediately.

NOTE:  I find that the use of a baking stone makes a nicely finished
crust on the bottom, avoiding any soggy bits inside the pizza.  If you
are using a stone or tiles, be sure that they are preheated thoroughly
(e.g., at least 15 minutes) prior to placing the pizza on the stone or
tiles.

CARDAMOM KNOTS

1/2 c. butter (not margarine!)
1/3 c. sugar
6 Tbsp. heavy cream
3/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1/3 tsp. salt
3 eggs, room temperature
1 egg, separated (egg white not used in this recipe)
4 c. all-purpose or pastry flour
2 pkgs. quick-rise yeast
1/4 c. warm water (120-130 degrees F.)
1 Tbsp. cold water

  In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat.  Add sugar and salt; stir
  until
dissolved.  Turn off heat.  Cool slightly; add cardamom and cream.
Stir until well blended.  Set aside to cool.

  In mixing bowl, add 2 c. flour and yeast.  Blend together.  Stir in
butter-cardamom mixture and warm water; mix slightly, then add 3 eggs.
 On medium-high speed, blend for 1 minute.  With dough hook, knead for
7-10 minutes, gradually adding rest of flour in 1/2-cup increments.

  Place dough in greased bowl and cover.  Set in warm, draft-free
  place to
rise, until approximately doubled (about 1 hour).

  Place dough on clean, dry work surface and punch down.  Divide into
  24
pieces.  Roll each piece into a rope; tie into a little knot.  Place
each knot on an ungreased baking sheet, at least 3" apart.  Cover; let
rise in warm, draft-free spot until increased in bulk about 1/4,
approximately 30 minutes.  During last 15 minutes of rising, preheat
oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

  Beat egg yolk with 1 Tbsp. cold water; lightly brush each roll with
mixture.  Bake at 375 degrees 15-17 minutes, or until rolls are golden
brown on top.  Place baking sheets on wire racks to cool for
approximately 15 minutes; remove from baking sheets and finish
cooling.

NOTE:  These rolls freeze very well, and can be reheated to their
wonderful, delicate fresh flavor by warming in an oven for a few
minutes while wrapped in foil.

Prep time:  2 hrs.
Makes 24 rolls

Pan Rolls
---------

Yield:  12-16 rolls

2 Tbsp. active dry yeast (I use rapid-rise)
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 T. gluten flour
3 c. whole-wheat flour
2 c. bread flour

1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 egg
1-3/4 c. lukewarm water

3 T. unsalted butter

Place yeast, sugar, salt, ginger, gluten flour, and 3 cups whole-wheat
flour in mixing bowl.  With flat beater, blend ingredients.  Add
water, egg, and vegetable oil.  On medium speed, mix for 2-1/2
minutes, or until dough forms rubbery strings between bowl and flat
beater.

Attach dough hook; knead for approximately 8-9 minutes, adding rest of
flour in 1/2-cup increments, until dough is no longer sticky and forms
a ball around dough hook.

Remove dough to greased glass container; cover loosely with tea towel
or plastic wrap.  Set in a warm, draft-free location until doubled in
bulk; punch down.  Repeat for a second rise.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface; punch down.  Shape into 12-16
rolls, placing in pan about 1/2-inch apart.  Cover with wax paper,
then light tea towel or plastic wrap.  Let rise in a warm place until
doubled in size.

Turn heat down to 375 (or 325 if using convection); bake for 15-20
minutes, or until rolls are lightly browned on top.  As soon as rolls
are removed from oven, melt butter over low heat and brush lightly
over rolls for softer crust.

Allow rolls to cool for approximately 20 minutes before serving.  If
freezing rolls for later use, cool thoroughly (about 2 hours).

Thirty-Minute White Bread
-------------------------

1 c. milk
2 T. vegetable shortening or softened, unsalted butter
3 t. salt
1 c. lukewarm water
2 T. quick-rise yeast
2 T. sugar
6-7 c. bread flour, approximately
2 T. butter, melted

Warm the milk in a saucepan to soften the shortening or butter for a
few moments.  Add the salt and the lukewarm water.

In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 c. flour and yeast and beat for 3
minutes at medium speed in an electric mixer.  Gradually add 2 more
cups flour, and continue beating for 3 minutes.

Turn off the mixer and add about 2 more cups flour.  Work it in until
the dough becomes stiff.  Knead for about 8-9 minutes with dough hook.

Divide dough in half and shape the balls.  Let rest under a cloth for
5 minutes to allow dough to relax.  Form the loaves by pressing each
into an oval, roughly the length of the baking pan.  Fold the oval in
half, pinch the seam tightly to seal, tuck under the ends, and place
seam down in the pan.  Brush the loaves with melted butter.

Place pans in a warm, draft-free location.  Cover with tea towel or
plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes
(hence, the recipe name).

Place pans in cold oven, turn to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for
45 minutes or until loaves are brown.  When done, they will sound
hollow when tapped on the bottom with a forefinger.  If the crust is
soft, return to the oven without the pans for approximately 10
minutes. If using a convection oven, temperature should be dropped by
50 degrees.

Place loaves on racks to cool thoroughly.

This bread freezes very well.

cmathew@airmail.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/

Deja News: http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet