WW bread & Bread Flour

Lulumommy@aol.com
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 23:05:27 -0500 (EST)
v097.n023.10
Hi everybody,

My name is Laura and I've been lurking for a few weeks now. I am enjoying the
list and am collecting recipes to try. My machine is a Panasonic Bread Bakery
and I've been experimenting with it lately. I have a couple of questions for
all of you seasoned bread bakers out there!

My goal is to make whole grain breads for my family with no eggs, milk, or
processed sugar, and I've tried a few whole wheat recipes that came with the
machine. However, every loaf I've made so far has turned out with a bitter
flavor. Is whole wheat destined to make a bitter bread? Could this package of
whole wheat flour simply be more bitter than it should be? Does the quality
of the flour really affect it that much? This is just an ordinary package of
whole wheat flour from the grocery store. What kind of flour do you all
recommend if you think this is my problem?

I have tried 3 different recipes and I keep increasing the amount of honey
thinking that will offset it, but nothing is working. One time I used half
whole wheat and half white flour but that didn't do the trick either. BTW, I
use soy milk powder in place of cow milk powder, but that's not the problem
either because I did use the cow milk powder for one of those 3 loaves with
the same bitterness. As you can see, I have narrowed this down to the flour
(I think)! Other than this problem, I love the way the machine works -- it is
SO easy! -- plus the breads come out with a wonderful texture and they look
beautiful.

Okay, now for my second question -- the manual explains that "bread flour" is
the type called for in the recipes, plus I see all of your recipes that call
for this "bread flour." However, I cannot find anything called bread flour at
the grocery store. Do you have to buy it somewhere else? Or is there another
name for it and it is right there under my nose?

Please forgive my beginner's questions -- but I would really like to make
yummy breads!

Laura