hi-gluten flour vs. gluten?

"Joan Mathew" <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:30:31 -0500
v097.n026.5
> From: rich <bzwax@tiac.net>
> Subject: hi-gluten flour vs. gluten?
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:30:23 -0500
>
> Hi: I went to the store the other day to buy vital gluten.  I accidently
> brought home something called "hi gluten flour." The label has no
> instructions for use or other comments on it.
>
> Is this the same thing as vital gluten?  If not, what is it for and how is
> it used?

Debbie,

Hi-Gluten flour is not quite the same as vital gluten; however, when
you're using this hi-gluten flour you wouldn't really have to add
any of the vital gluten to your recipes in all probability.  Vital
gluten is typically used in recipes that have a lower amount of
gluten due to the type of flour being used or, in my experience, due
to the denseness of the dough.

For example, whole wheat breads tend to be quite dense when you make
the dough, and I have found that adding the vital gluten to my
recipes helps the dough in rising.  I end up with a lovely, light
product because it was able to rise more easily.  In my own baking I
tend to add vital gluten only when there is a high percentage of
flour that contains lower amounts of gluten, such as whole wheat
flour.  If I am making a white bread using bread flour, I often do
not add gluten at all because *bread flour* has a higher content of
gluten anyway.

Although vital gluten is not absolutely necessary in bread-making, I
have found it helps to yield wonderful bread products.  The hi-gluten
flour that you purchased would, by its name, indicate that you've
purchased a flour that already has a high content of the vital
gluten.  Using the vital gluten in a recipe with this flour would be
acceptable, but redundant in my opinion.

Hope that helps,
Joan

cmathew@airmail.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/