Re: Unleavened bread

Marcy Lawrence <marcy@j51.com>
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 15:34:31 -0500
v097.n026.8
Terri wrote:

>My church is doing an Easter pageant and would like to use an *authentic*
>recipe for the unleavened bread that would be used at Passover.  Being a
>Baptist, I have no idea what it would be.  The lady who has made it in the
>past for us has moved away, without giving her recipe to anyone.  If anyone
>has a recipe for a bread machine I would greatly appreciate it, although I
>will be happy with anything I can get.

The unleavened bread eaten during Passover is called "Matzoh".  No need to
use a bread machine because the bread is not allowed rise!  No yeast
allowed!  During Passover, Jews are not allowed to eat any leavened
products.  This custom represents the Jews' flight from Egypt when there
wasn't enough time allowed for the bread to rise.

Matzoh is basically flour and water, mixed together, rolled out, pierced
with holes (the prongs of a fork might work well) and then baked.  Similar
in texture to a cracker.  I hope this helps!

Marcy