Whole wheat tasting bitter

Irwin@prodigy.com (MR IRWIN H FRANZEL)
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 12:07:00, -0500
v097.n027.7
To Laura, who writes about her whole wheat breads tasting rancid or bitter.
The flavor problem you are experiencing is one that we have spent a great
deal of time researching, before we solved the problem. This is what we found:

Wheat germ oil is very delicate and becomes rancid within hours if exposed
to the air. In the intact wheat berry, the oil lasts a long time without
any rancidity. The answer to Laura's question is to grind the wheat
yourself. It is easily done and well worth the cost and effort.

Commercial millers, who package whole wheat flour, add a preservative to
the flour to keep the oil from becoming rancid. Unfortunately, the
preservative itself is bitter and detracts from the flavor of the finished
bread.

Laura, if you get a grain mill and buy wheat berries at your local bulk
food or grain store, you will be amazed at the clean, nutty flavor you will
get with even 100% whole wheat bread. Even children like it!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call or E-mail. I can usually
be reached at (800) 641-9093.
                                        Irwin/Delta Rehab/Using Zojis

[Edited by listowner]