Re: Bagel Machines

Mark_Judman@colpal.com (Mark Judman)
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:29:14 -0400
v097.n029.4
     Sherilyn Palmer <dojspalm@web.net> wrote
     >I noticed a Bagel Machine in Walmart yesterday. ...
     >Breadmachine. My question is--can I make bagels as easily in my
     >breadmachine
     >as this new bagel machine.  One advantage is that the bagel machine
     >has a separate area for boiling the bagels--this is a plus.

     >  Does anyone have experience with this type of bagel
     > machine--is it worth purchasing it--I eat a lot of bagels.

     I don't have experience with either bagel machines (or bread machines,
     for that matter), but seeing bagel machines in stores or catalogs
     drives me nuts.  I suppose the main issue for me is esthetic or
     philosophical, but bagel machines seem to me the very essence of
     frivolous technology.  My apologies to those of you who love bagel
     machines, but if you've got some means of mixing up a dough (mixer,
     bread machine, or by hand in a bowl), a wide pot (or frying pan) for
     boiling them, and an oven with cookie sheets or a baking/pizza stone
     for baking them, you've got all the technology you need, at no
     additional expense.  You don't even need one of those bagel cutters
     with their production of extra holes -- I just form the dough into
     round disks, stick my thumb through the center and pull the hole open.
     Maybe I could start a company making a line of Anadama machines,
     Sweedish rye machines and kaiser roll machines....  Pardon the rant.

     Mark Judman <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>