LF/LSugar Bread Pudding

John Murren <jemurr@open.org>
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 06:19:49 -0700 (PDT)
v097.n030.4
LF/Reduced Sugar Bread Pudding

As a weekend, recreational bread baker, I'm always looking for good ways to
use up excess, maybe even stale, bread. The birds can only eat so much!
I'm also on a continual quest for low fat, low sugar foods that taste good.
 This is my best adaptation yet of a rich New Orleans bread pudding, with
thanks to Ruth Fertel of Ruth's Chris' fame, and her grandmother, for the
original.

About 8 ozs of stale or toasted french type bread (I use sourdough toasted
@ 200 degrees 	for 30 mins or so. Yes, 8 ozs is not much!)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Sugar Twin Brown Sugar substitute
5/6 envelopes of Sweet and Low
2.25 cups skim milk
1.5 cups of evaporated skim milk (comes in 12 oz can)
2 Tbs reduced fat margarine
1/4 cup liquid Butter Buds (one envelope, prepared)
4 Tbs nonfat cream cheese
6 egg equivalent of whole eggs (Egg Beaters, etc.)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
good pinch of nutmeg
1 tbs vanilla
2 Tbs bourbon (or any good liquor)
1/2 cup raisins
1 apple, diced into small pieces

In a large bowl, combine the sugars, and Sweet and Low.  Place the milks,
margarine, cream cheese, Butter Buds, and half the sugars into a large
sauce pan over med heat and bring to a boil while wisking (watch it or it
will scorch easily).  Add eggs, spices, bourbon, and vanilla to the
remaining sugar, and wisk til well mixed.

When the milk has boiled, remove from heat and immediately drizzle into the
egg mixture while wisking all.  When this mixture is well incorporated, add
the raisins, apple, and bread, and let it sit for 30/60 mins while it soaks
up some of the liquid.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and "butter" a 9 inch baking pan.  Pour
pudding into the pan, and bake in center of top shelf for 45 mins, or until
top is browned and middle tests "set" (knife inserted into center comes out
clean).

This pudding will appear "soupy" prior to baking, and you will be tempted
to add more bread.  Try it this way first, and I think you will avoid
making a dry pudding.  Serve with a no-fat topping.

Makes 6 servings

Enjoy.  jm