Banana-Chocolate Chip Bread

Terry and Kathleen Schuller <schuller@ix.netcom.com>
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 06:00:29 -0500
v097.n031.12
I'm one of those bakers who almost slavishly follows a recipe with just a
minor tweak here and there.  But I took the plunge last weekend and
converted a bread machine recipe into a hand made one.  I learned that I
needed to consider the following:  what to heat with the yeast, how many
times to let the bread rise, what size pan to use, and what temperature to
set the oven.

I'm pleased to report that my first conversion was a big success.  My
family gobbled up the following bread.  If I make it again I will increase
the banana since the chocolate overwhelmed it.  I'm including both my
version and the original bread machine version.

Kathleen

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                    Banana-Chocolate Bread (Hand made)

Recipe By     : www.breadworld.com 4/97 (revised)
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads                           Sweet Breads & Cakes

   3      cups          unbleached flour
   1      teaspoon      salt
   2      teaspoons     active dry yeast
     1/2  cup           skim milk
   1      tablespoon    butter or margarine
     1/4  cup           egg beaters 99% egg substitute
     1/2  cup           mashed bananas
     1/3  cup           semisweet chocolate pieces

In a large mixing bowl thoroughly mix  1 cup of flour, salt, and yeast.
Combine skim milk and butter or margarine in a saucepan.  Heat over low
heat until liquids are warm (110 to 120 degrees F. Butter or margarine does
not need to melt.  Gradually add to dry ingredients and mix.  Add egg
beaters,  mashed bananas, chocolate pieces, and 1 cup of flour.  Mix
thoroughly.  Add enough flour to make a stiff dough.  Turn out onto lightly
floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 8 minutes.

Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.  Cover;  let rise in warm
place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.  Punch
dough down.  Cover and let rise again, about 45 minutes.  Shape into loaf
and place in greased 8" x 4" loaf pan.  Cover and let rise in warm place
until dough fills pan and top of loaf is about 1" above top of pan edge,
about 30 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.  Uncover dough.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until
loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped.  Immediately remove from pan;  cool
on wire rack.

Based on a machine bread recipe posted at www.breadworld.com, 4/97

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 32794

*  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                       Banana-Chocolate Chip Bread

Recipe By     : www.breadworld.com 4/97
Categories    : Breads

                        1-POUND LOAF (1 1/2-POUND LOAF)
     1/3  cup           skim milk (1/2)
     1/3  cup           mashed very ripe bananas (1/2 cup)
   1      large         egg (1)
   1      tablespoon    butter or margarine (1 tbls)
     3/4  teaspoon      salt (1 tsp)
   2      cups          bread flour (3 cups)
     1/4  cup           semisweet chocolate pieces (1/3 cup)
   1 1/2  teaspoons     bread machine yeast (2 tsp)

It's better than a candy bar; was the verdict from our panel of kid
tasters. They thought the chocolate and banana combination was terrific.

Use the 1-pound recipe if your machine pan holds 10 cups or less of water.
Add ingredients to bread machine pan in the order suggested by
manufacturer, adding mashed bananas with milk, and semisweet chocolate
pieces with flour.

Note: How this bread turns out depends on your machine. Some machines will
make a smooth chocolate-colored bread. Others will leave bits of chocolate
chips, and still others will give a marbled loaf.

Recommended cycle: Basic/white bread cycle; light or medium/normal color
setting.

Nutrition information per serving (1/12 of 1 1/2-lb. recipe):  calories
178; total fat 4 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 21 mg; sodium 216 mg;
total carbohydrate 30 g; dietary fiber 1 g; protein 6 g.

schuller@ix.netcom.com