Canadian ingredient?

jvega@sprynet.com
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:37:15 -0700
v097.n031.15
Hi,

I found an interesting sounding recipe in the Village Bakery Recipe Bin at
http://countrylife.net/bread/recipes/65.html, but I'm not quite sure what one of
the ingredients is.  It calls for 1 cup of r.r. cereal. The poster is from
Canada. Is this a popular cereal in Canada?  Here's the entire recipe :

2 TB. yeast
2/3 cup warm water
2 TB. sugar
1 cup r.r. cereal
1 TB. salt
3 TB. maple syrup
3 TB. molasses
6 TB. butter
3 cups boiling water
2 cups scalded milk
3 cups whole wheat flour
8 cups white flour (approx.)

Proof yeast, add salt to boiling water, add cereal in a stream and cook untill
wooden spoon makes a track across it, stirring constantly. Add butter, syrup
molasses and milk, stir wel, let stand til lukewarm. Add yeast, then flour; beat
well. Add white, mixing until it comes away from the sides of the bowl. Knead
for 10 minutes. Let rise twice covered with a towel in the oven. Punch down and
make into loaves. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.

Please let me know if this cereal sounds familiar to anyone.
Thanks,
Geej