sweet sourdough

Lobo119@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:43:04 -0600
v097.n033.1
Katherine Rodman asked for a sweet sourdough ... this is wonderful.  We
don't even butter it, just rip it apart and eat it plain ... warm from the
oven, of course.  It's sort of like a croissant in loaf form.

Sorry, but I don't use a bread machine, so someone else would have to
convert it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JOELLEN'S SOURDOUGH BREAD

DAY 1 IN THE MORNING or DAY 1 EVENING:
Mix	1 c. starter=20
	3/4 c. sugar=20
	3 T. instant potatoes=20
	1 c. warm water
Let stand on the counter for 8-12 hours uncovered.

DAY 1 IN THE EVENING or DAY 2 MORNING:
	Stir mixture and measure out what you need to make bread.  Bake something
else with the remaining mixture, or else store it in the refrigerator for
the next time you bake this recipe.

A word on flour:  I put in as much of the flour asked for as I can knead in
until I don't want to anymore and until it's not sticky -- consequently
it's usually less than asked for, and my bread is light and sometimes
holey.  But we like it that way.  This recipe specifically calls for little
kneading.  That's why it's a real light, almost croissant-type bread.

Mix:
6 c. f1our
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. salt
1 c. Day 1 starter
1/2 c. corn oil
1 1/2 c. warm water

Mix all ingredients in large bowl.  Pat top with oil, cover lightly and let
rise 8-12 hours at room temp.

DAY 2 IN THE MORNING or DAY 2 EVENING:
	Punch dough down and knead just a little.  Divide into 3 equal parts.
Knead each 12-15 times on floured board.  Put into greased loaf pans.
Brush tops with oil.  Cover with plastic wrap.  Let rise in pans 8-12 hours
at room temp.

DAY 2 IN THE EVENING or DAY 3 MORNING:
	Bake at 325-350 deg F for 20-25 minutes for light bread or 30-40 for
darker bread.  Remove from pans, brush tops with melted butter or
margarine, cool on racks.  Makes 3 regular loaves.