answer and question

Linda Michaluk <tmichaluk@cyberstore.ca>
Sun, 04 May 97 15:29:33 -0500
v097.n035.7
-- [ From: Linda Michaluk * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

I have lurked long enough.  I have been following the postings about pizza
for some time and have a suggestion about crispy crust.  I do not have
baking tiles or a pizza stone.  What I do to get a crispy home crust is to
bake it twice.  The first baking is before you put on the ingredients.  Bake
it in a hot oven until the top is starting to get brown.  Remove it from the
oven, add the sauce and other ingredients and bake it again until the cheese
melts and the pizza looks done to you.  Sorry not to be exact but as I do
this often on the Bar-B-Que, there are not exact times or temperatures.
When doing this ont the barby, the grills do not need to be greased.  I get
the gas barby very hot and turn one side of the burners down very low,
leaving the other very hot.  The side that is down low is the side on which
I place the pizza.  On the barby takes 3 to 5 minutes.  I take it off the
barby (easier on the hairs on your arms), turn it over on to a cookie sheet,
and proceed to put on the toppings.  Back on the barby for another 5 - 8
minutes.  When doing it in the oven, sometimes I turn it over before adding
the toppings, and sometimes I don't.  Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Now for the question - I see constant reference to adding gluten to the
flour for bread.  I was once told that was not necessary in Canada because
of the hard wheat that is used here for flour.  In addition, it is easy to
find, at least in my store, bread flour in both white and blended whole
wheat.  Any comments?

Thanks for the great list.
Linda