ABM to the Oven

"Gordon" <gordon@mpsnet.com.mx>
Sun, 18 May 1997 10:23:19 -0500
v097.n037.5
Elizabeth writes ...
If anyone has found a way around the problem of timed cycles in cases like
these, I'd love to know what it is.  I've often wished my machine would let
me skip right to the bake cycle when I want to, but it won't.

Elizabeth thats real easy.  Just take it out of the ABM and put it into the
oven.  I would be willing to bet that 1/2 the bread I make I use the ABM to
make the dough then I take it out and make Cinnamon rolls, braided bread,
pizza  or just make a large oval with designs in the crust.  You let the
ABM do the hard part and then you just fancy it up and put it in the oven.

This other newsletter I belong to says you have to post a recipe with every
letter (which I think is a good idea) so here is a recipe for Pizza.  This
is a deep dish, gooey mess that is very very good.

Deep Dish Pizza

Dough
3 cups	Flour
1 cup	Water
1 tea	salt
2 Tab	Olive Oil
1 1/2 tea	Yeast

		Filling
		1 jar		Commercial Pizza Sauce Prego or Ragu..
		1/3 cup		Chopped Onions
		1/3 cup		Chopped Green Peppers
		1 or 2 cups 	Meat? Italian Sausage, Pepperoni or Mexican Cherozo.
		2 cups 		Chopped Fresh Tomatoes.  (plum tomatoes are best)
		Sprinkle	Pizza  or Red Pepper flakes.
				Mushrooms if you like them
		500 gm or 1 pound of sliced cheese.

This is easy to make takes a bit of time but little work, its worth it.
Its totally different from anything I have ever purchased.  You need a big
deep dish pizza pan or if don't have one I have made it on a cookie sheet.
(the kind with the sides) All the toppings are optional but I strongly
suggest the tomatoes.  They give it a real flavor boost.

Make the dough in the ABM on the dough cycle.  Grease the pan, chop the
veggies and slice and If you are using the Italian or Mexican sausage cook
it slightly to remove the grease.  (If you have never had Mexican Sausage
"Cherizo" I suggest you get some for the pizza its great.  It has a
distinctive flavor that goes well in a pizza)  Just remove the casing and
either crumble it or slice it and lightly brown it.

When the dough is ready put it into the pan and press down with finger
tips.  Pour a wee bit of olive Oil on the dough so it will not stick to
your fingers.  Then press it out to the corners of the pan.  If it keeps
returning to the center let it rest for 5 minutes and try again.

When you have the dough spread out pour the entire jar of sauce ( I know it
says to use ½) on the dough, sprinkle with pepper flakes (if desired) then
sprinkle with all the other ingredients,  add the cheese last.  Cover with
a large sheet of Aluminum foil and let raise for 45 minutes.

Pop into a 350 oven for 20 minutes to half  hour or until the cheese starts
to brown in spots.

 Note use real cheese?. When ever I make a pizza I get rid of almost all
the cheese I have in the fridge its a great way to get rid of the little
odds and ends you have laying around.  You need the Mozzarella for a base
but a little bit of cheddar or Swiss adds a bit more flavor to the cheese.
The only thing I have found I don't like is the Imitation cheeses.

Gordon
Acapulco