cornbread recipes for summer

LIR119@delphi.com
Sat, 24 May 1997 09:58:58 -0400 (EDT)
v097.n037.16
Reggie and Jeff enjoy your vacation!!!

Summer reminds me of barbecue time and cornbread. Here are several cornbread
recipes I do enjoy baking including a sourdough one. I hope you enjoy them
as much as I do.  There is always a controversy in the United States about
the ideal cornbread recipe.
I prefer mine on the sweet side and moist. However
I do eat any cornbread that comes my way. The following recipes are some of
my favorites and do not reflect the ideal or favorite of others.
Like potato salad, there are vast recipes for this delicious quick bread.
There are of course yeast based ones also  and also recipes for
the breadmakers. But in my opinion they don't compare to the old fashioned
quick bread recipes :)

WEST TEXAS CORNBREAD
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tbs baking powder
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sour cream
1 cup creamed corn
4 oz. green chopped chilies

Combine cornmeal baking powder and cheese.Mix eggs, oil, sour cream, corn
and chilies. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine and
moisten. spoon into a 12 cup well greased bundt pan. Bake 400 degrees 40 to
50 minutes or tested done. let stand 10 minutes in the pan and invert
carefully onto a serving plate. Serve hot or warm. Very impressive !

HONEY CORNBREAD
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup butter melted
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1 Tbs baking powder

Beat cornmeal, milk, sour cream, eggs, honey and melted butter. Combine
flour and baking powder and add to dry ingredients. Stir to blend. Pour into
a greased 8 or 9 inch square pan and bake 400 for 20 to 25 minutes or tested
done

ALL AMERICAN CORNBREAD
2 cups biscuit mix
1 cup butter
1 cup half and half
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten

Scald half and half cream with butter and add to combined mixed dry
ingredients.Mix in the eggs. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake 350
degrees about 30 minutes or tested done. allow to stand a few minutes before
cutting.

SWEET WHITE LOAF CORNBREAD
2 cups white cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbs shortening
2 cups buttermilk

Sift dry ingredients. Place shortening in a loaf pan and set in a 350 degree
oven to melt. combine flour and cornmeal and other dry ingredients. Pour
buttermilk into dry mixture and stir to mositen. Lastly pour in the melted
shortening ( could be butter ) and mix.Return mixture to hot pan and bake
350 about 1 hour or tested done. slice medium thick and serve with butter.
Note: be sure the pan is well coated with the hot oil before you pour it into
the cornbread mixture.

SOUR DOUGH JACK'S CORNBREAD

1 cup active sourdough starter
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
2 Tbs sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Mix starter, milk, cornmeal, sugar and eggs and stir well. Stir in butter
salt and soda. Turn into a greased 10 inch iron skillet and bake in a hot
oven ( 425 degrees ) for 25 to 30 minutes or golden and tested done.
Serve hot!
Note: batter is thin but bakes up to a nice size, moist and tasty
cornbread. a good way to use up some sourdough culture.

Joan,"Flour Power"

`[1;37;47mRainbow V 1.18.3 for Delphi - Registered