Real Jewish sourdough rye bread

Joyce L Owen <jowen@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Tue, 03 Jun 1997 19:21:56 +0100
v097.n039.14
Several people have e-mailed me asking for this recipe, so I thought I
would post it.  I apologize for its length.  It has a number of steps, but
it's really not hard to make.

Real Jewish Rye Bread (adapted from Secrets of a Jewish Baker)

It's convenient to make Starter one day, Stages one and two the next day,
refrigerate, then Stage three and the bread the next day. Note that this
bread contains no shortening or sugar.

Starter
1/2 C 	rye flour
1/8 tsp	salt
1 C 	water
1 Tbsp 	crushed caraway seeds
1 tsp 	minced onion

Mix; cover; leave in oven with light on until bubbly (up to 24 hours).

Stage one (large mixing bowl!)
1/2 C	water
1 1/4 C	rye flour
All the starter

Mix; sprinkle another 1/4 C rye flour over the top; let stand in oven until
double, with deep cracks on top (4 - 8 hours).

Stage two: add the following to Stage one:
1/2 C	warm water
3/4 C	rye flour

Mix; sprinkle another 1/4 C rye four over top; cover; proceed as before.
It can be refrigerated at any stage.

Stage three: add the following to Stage two:
1/2 C	warm water
1 C 	rye flour

Mix and proceed as before.
Set aside 1/4 - 1/2 C  as starter ; cover with film of water; cover
container; refrigerate.

Altus:
Soak some leftover rye bread in water a few hours or overnight in fridge.
squeeze dry and crumble.  This will keep covered in fridge.

Bread at last:  (There's enough Stage three for two loaves; I refrigerate
half for the next day, because I make it in the bread machine.)

1/2 C	water
1 1/2 C	rye sour (Stage three)
1/4 C	altus
1 tsp 	salt
2 1/2 C	white flour
2 tsp 	caraway seeds (soak first in the water if you prefer)
1 tsp	yeast

Joyce L. Owen           jowen@oregon.uoregon.edu
Eugene OR
Visit the Website of the Fanconi Anemia Research Fund, Inc.
http://www.rio.com/~fafund