recipes for you

"J. Mathew" <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 07:32:40 -0500
v097.n042.3
Hi bread-bakers,
  I have just posted some new recipes on my Web site and thought you
might enjoy copies of them.  These are recipes that I have made
myself...although my husband says he hasn't had enough taste-tasting
("QA") time yet....heh heh.

  As you will see, all are suitable for making in the KitchenAid.
I'm sure that they can be utilized in a bread machine, too; however,
I don't own a bread machine and cannot give you the different ratios.

Joan
Email: joanm@bigfoot.com
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/index.html
USDA gardening zone 7b (just north of Dallas, TX)

Deja News: http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Challah Bread (for KitchenAid)
------------------------------

Yield:  1 large braided loaf

5-6 c. bread flour
2 T. gluten flour
1-1/2 t. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast (I use rapid-rise)
1-1/2 c. lukewarm water minus 2 Tbsp.
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 T. honey
3 T. oil
3 eggs, beaten (reserve 1 egg yolk for glaze)
1/4 c. poppy seeds (optional)

With standard mixing attachment, thoroughly combine first four
ingredients into large mixing bowl.  Add yeast and combine thoroughly.
 Add remaining ingredients; mix only until dough starts to form a ball
-- approximately 10-20 seconds.

Attach dough hook to mixer and knead dough for approximately 8-10
minutes.  Remove dough to greased glass container; cover loosely with
tea towel or plastic wrap.  Set in a warm, draft-free location until
doubled in bulk; punch down.  Repeat.

Divide dough into three equal-sized pieces.  Shape pieces into ropes,
about 20-24" long.  Braid pieces together to form a loaf.  You may
connect the ends of the braid to form a circular loaf or leave the
braid straight.  If you make the circular loaf, make sure the ends of
the braid are firmly pressed together (use a few drops of water to
"cement" the pieces).  Place on lightly greased (I use cooking spray)
cooking sheets.  Place in warm, draft-free location for the final
rise.  Cover loosely with tea towel or plastic wrap until loaf is
doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 500F while dough is rising.

When the braid has doubled in size, combine the reserved egg yolk with
1 Tbsp. of water.  Mix well; then brush the top of the braid with the
glaze. Sprinkle poppy seeds on top, if desired.

Turn heat down to 375 (or 350 if using convection); immediately
uncover braid and place into oven for 35-45 minutes, until crust has
turned a nice golden brown.  Remove braid to racks to cool thoroughly.

Allow braid to cool for at least 60 minutes before slicing.  If
freezing for later use, cool thoroughly (about 2 hours).

Sweet Bread Dough (for KitchenAid)
----------------------------------

Yields all of the following:
1 coffee cake, 1 dozen sweet rolls, and 1 dozen buns

3-1/2 to 4 c. bread flour
4 c. whole wheat flour
2 T. gluten flour
1-1/2 t. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
4 t. ground cardamom
    (may substitute 1/2 t. EACH of nutmeg, ginger, and
     cloves AND 1 t. cinnamon -- pick your favorite)
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast (I use rapid-rise)
3 c. lukewarm skim milk
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten

With standard mixing attachment, thoroughly combine first six
ingredients into large mixing bowl.  Add yeast and combine thoroughly.
 Add remaining ingredients; mix only until dough starts to form a
batter -- approximately 10-20 seconds.  The dough will be very soft
and delicate, and will not form a ball.

Attach dough hook to mixer and knead dough for approximately 8-10
minutes.  Remove dough to greased glass container; cover loosely with
tea towel or plastic wrap.  Set in a warm, draft-free location until
doubled in bulk; punch down.  Repeat.

Divide dough into three equal-sized pieces.

For coffee cake:  Lightly grease a coffee cake tin (I use one with a
pretty design imprinted in the metal, so that the resulting cake has
this design) and place one large piece into the tin.

For buns:  Divide one large piece into 12 equal-sized pieces.  Shape
into balls and place each in a lightly-greased muffin tin or molds.

For sweet rolls:  On a floured surface, roll one large piece into a
rectangle approximately 1/4" thick.  Cover with filling (see ideas
below); roll up in jelly-roll fashion and slice into 1" pieces.
Arrange in a lightly greased pan, slightly touching.

Place all in warm, draft-free location for the final rise.  Cover
loosely with tea towel or plastic wrap until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 500F while dough is rising (With this many pieces it
is helpful to have two ovens available.  If you do not, you may wish
to place some of the items into the refrigerator for baking later --
sweet rolls are ideal for this as they can be baked fresh in time for
breakfast).

OPTIONAL STEP:  When the pieces have doubled in size, combine 3 egg
whites with 4 t. water.  Mix well; then brush the tops of the pieces
with the glaze.

Turn heat down to 350 (or 325 if using convection); immediately
uncover pieces and place into oven.  Coffee cake will take
approximately 35-40 minutes, 20-30 minutes for the buns and sweet
rolls.  Remove from oven when the crusts have turned a nice golden
brown; place on cooling racks.

For sweet rolls:  these may be served plain or iced (see below).
Serve after cooling for approximately 10 minutes.

Buns should be allowed to cool for 10 minutes prior to serving; coffee
cake for 15-20 minutes.  Sweet rolls may be served after about 10
minutes of cooling.  If freezing for future use, allow all items to
cool thoroughly before freezing.

Filling Ideas
-------------
1)  cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, honey
2)  cinnamon, butter, pecan pieces, raisins that have been soaked
    in rum or sherry
3)  marmalade or jam, chopped nuts
4)  cinnamon, butter, crushed almonds
5)  pureed apricots, ginger, honey
6)  chopped prunes, orange peel, crushed pecans

Icing
-----

1 c. sifted powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla or almond extract
3/4 T. milk or orange juice

Combine ingredients thoroughly.  Stir in additional milk or juice, 1
teaspoon at a time, until icing reaches drizzling consistency.
Drizzle it over the coffee cake, buns, or sweet rolls.

Makes:  1/2 cup

St. Lucia Buns (for KitchenAid)
-------------------------------

1 c. skim milk
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 t. ground cardamom
3/4 c. sugar

6-1/2 to 7 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 T. gluten flour
1 t. salt
1/2 t. powdered saffron
3 T. orange peel
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast (I use rapid-rise)

2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. warm water
1/2 c. ground blanched almonds (optional)
1/2 c. dark raisins (optional)

Place milk in small, microwaveable measure; add butter.  Heat on HIGH
power for 2-3 minutes; add butter and sugar.  Heat on HIGH power,
stirring every minute, until butter has melted.  Remove and stir in
cardamom; let cool to lukewarm.

With standard mixing attachment, thoroughly combine flour, ginger,
gluten, salt, saffron, and orange peel into large mixing bowl.  Add
yeast and combine thoroughly.  Add eggs, water, milk mixture, and nuts
and raisins (if desired); mix only until dough starts to form a batter
-- approximately 10-20 seconds.  The dough will be somewhat soft and
will not form a ball.  If it is too soft you may add additional 1/2 c.
flour.

Attach dough hook to mixer and knead dough for approximately 10
minutes.  Remove dough to greased glass container; cover loosely with
tea towel or plastic wrap.  Set in a warm, draft-free location until
doubled in bulk; punch down.  Repeat.

On lightly floured board, roll one third of dough into a square
(approximately 10").  Cut in half, to make two rectangles.  Cut each
rectangle crosswise into 12 strips.  With palm of hand, roll each into
a pencil-thin strip, about 6" long.  On lightly greased baking sheet,
cross strips to make an "X" shape; curl each end into small coil.  You
may press a raisin into the center of each coil if you wish.

Place buns in warm, draft-free location for the final rise.  Cover
loosely with tea towel or plastic wrap until doubled in size.  Preheat
oven to 500F while dough is rising.

Brush buns with 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 T. water.  Turn heat down to
400 (or 450 if using convection); bake 12-15 minutes; remove from oven
when the crusts have turned a nice golden brown; remove to wire racks.

Buns should be allowed to cool for 10 minutes prior to serving.  If
freezing for future use, allow all items to cool thoroughly before
freezing.

Makes: 3 dozen buns

VARIATION:
Buns may be served plain or iced (see below).  After removing buns
from oven, allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before drizzling icing over
tops.

Icing
-----