Machine life-span

Chris Olmstead <colmstead@opus1.com>
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 01:13:23 -0500
v097.n046.10
From: "Rossana S. Tarantini" <rossana.t@sympatico.ca>

>Does anyone have any idea of the life expectancy of a bread machine?  We
>use ours every day, usually baking two loaves daily.  Am I expecting too
>much from the machine? We use ours every day to make two loaves of bread.
>It's usually set on timer for a loaf first thing in the morning and then at
>least one more time in the late afternoon for another one.  Sometimes even
>three times if I'm making a sweet bread.  Does anyone have an idea?  I'd
>appreciate the input.

My Oster manual says it has a 2 year warrantee.  I am using mine about once
a day.  From reading here and from books at the library it looks to me like
2 years is a _minimum_ lifespan.  I would start to get nervous around 3
years, and shop to replace it in the 4th year even if it is still running.
I get the idea I'm very conservative.

Because you use yours more than once a day, you might start thinking about
owning two machines at a time.  This would allow you to schedule a little
more freely, and if one of them fails you don't have to panic completely
while you seek a replacement.  Look for a sale now, and give yourself the
freedom to look for a sale when the day comes that a machine finally does
wear out.  I believe twice a day is a heavy work load.  You might call your
machine's company and ASK, or look in the book for your warrantee length.
This would give you an idea of what they planned for.

Chris Olmstead.