lavender

Geraldine Tulane <tulaneg@chesapeake.net>
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:35:26 -0400
v097.n048.16
I am new to computers, REAL NEW!!! and brand new to bread baking also.

I have a question maybe you can help me with.

I subscribe to "Fine Cooking" magazine and several months ago there was an
article on bread baking by Phil VanKirk. He talked about sourdough baking
and his method was to use a potato starter (Idaho potatoes, sugar and
water.) This starter (he said) would make the inside of the bread soft. He
suggested using half this potato starter with half of another starter to
add the "sour" taste.

Well, I mixed up this starter, using his recipe. It seems to me that this
is a very vibrant and healthy starter (but what do I know???nothing!!!) It
also smells wonderful. What do you think about this #1) starter...#2)and
method of mixing 2 different starters?

Also, he didn't go into detail about proofing the starter...when to mix it
into the bread, etc. (I need DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS at this point in my
baking.)

Another question...I would like to take a "hands on" bread baking
course...any suggestions. I wish there were clubs or "get togethers" for
this purpose. I guess I can drive to Vermont in the fall and take the "King
Arthur" course they will be offering...but at $300+ for the course, $79 per
night for the room @ 3 nights, expense of driving from Maryland to Vermont,
plus food and MISC. EXPENSES....gads....it's getting a bit pricey for my
blood!!!! I guess I can go ahead and do it...but it sure takes the fun
right out of it with that kind of money....now if I were purchasing a
gidget or gadget, a new play-toy, like the Miracle Mill or a "Z"
breadbaker...that's different!!!!

But if this is all I can find...guess that's going to have to be it. I'd
just rather spend that money at King Arthur. Guess I just have to set my
priorities.......

Another question...I'm from New Orleans (live in Maryland) and I'm use to
French bread that if soft as cotton on the inside with an outer crust that
is so light and flaky that when you break a piece of bread off...your
lap...the table...is a mass of crumbs. IS THERE A WAY to get French bread
like that (or even just close to it) for the home baker???

Have oodles of questions but will stop here....don't want to monopolize you
too much.......Jheri