pretzels

Peg Doolin <pegsean@together.net>
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 18:33:26 -0400
v097.n054.6
Lisa,

You requested pretzel recipes for the bread machine, similar to pretzels
in the malls.  I've attached three.  I've not tried any.  The first two
are for the bread machine.  The third is not, but is supposed to taste
like Auntie Anne's (yummy).  The Auntie Anne's recipe calls for a baking
soda and water 'dip'.  Maybe that will help with dough made in the bread
machine.

Good luck,
Peg
Essex, VT

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Baked Pretzels
 Categories: Breads, Bread machi, Snacks, Fat-free
      Yield: 8 Pretzels

    1 1/2 ts Yeast

      1/2 ts Salt

        2 c  Bread flour

      1/2 c  Egg substitute

      1/4 c  Water

        1    Egg white

        1 tb Water
  Add yeast, salt, bread flour, egg substitute, and 1/2

  cup water in the order suggested by the bread machine

  manufacturer and process on the dough cycle. Preheat

  oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray baking sheet with

  nonfat cooking spray. When the dough cycle is

  complete, remove dough and place on lightly-floured

  surface. Roll dough into 12x4-inch rectangle and cut

  into 8 (12-inch) strips. Pull each strip to about 14

  inches in length. Form dough into pretzel shape: Make

  a circle; cross the ends at the top, twist the ends

  once and lay over the bottom of the circle. Pretzel

  logs can also be shaped just by making rolled dough

  into a 12- to 14-inch rope. Place pretzels on prepared

  baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine egg white with

  1 tablespoon water and brush on pretzels. If desired,

  sprinkle pretzels with coarse salt, sesame, or poppy

  seeds. Bake in preheated oven 15 to 20 seconds. Serve

  with mustard or cheese dip.
  Source:  "Recipes for Fat-free Living: Breads for

  Bread Machines" by Jyl Steinback; 1996. MM format by

  Mary Ann Young

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Big Soft Pretzels
 Categories: Breadmakers, Mixes, Breads, Snacks
      Yield: 1 Servings

  :          -JOY QUIRK   (HFTC65A)

        1 tb Dry yeast

        5 c  Bread mix; up to six

    1 1/2 c  -lukewarm water

        2    Eggs; beaten
  MMMMM--------------------------TOPPING-------------------------------

        1    Egg; beaten

        2 tb Coarse salt

      1/2 c  Butter; melted
  Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.  In a large bowl, dissolve

  yeast in lukewarm water.  Blend in 2 eggs and butter. Add 5 cups

  bread mix. Stir well.  Add additional bread mix to make a soft, but

  not too sticky dough. Knead about 5 minutes until dough is smooth.

  Roll pieces of dough into ropes about 1/2 inch in diameter and 18 to

  24 inches long. Form into pretzel shapes.  For pretzel sticks, cut

  dough into 5 to 6 inch lengths. Place on prepared baking sheets.

  Preheat oven to 425.
  Brush tops of pretzels with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.

  Bake immediately 12 to 15 minutes, until brown and crisp. Makes 12 to

       15    large pretzels.
  Variation For a chewier pretzel, drop pretzel-shaped dough into a pan

  of boiling water.  When dough floats to the top of the water, remove

  it. Preheat oven to 400. Brush with egg and sprinkle with coarse

  salt. Bake about 30 minutes.
  All of these recipes I have posted using my bread mix can be adjusted

  to use with the bread machine, some using the dough setting. I have

  had excellent results. Will try to post more over the weekend as I

  get time. Also have a lot of other "mix" recipes if anyone is

  interested.
  Formatted by Elaine Radis BGMB90B; JUNE, 1993

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Auntie Anne's Pretzels
 Categories: Desserts, Snacks
      Yield: 1 Servings

  1 1/2 ts Yeast
    1/2 ts Brown sugar
      1 ds Salt
  1 1/2 c  Water
      4 c  Bread flour
      2 ts Baking soda
      2 c  Warm water
    1/2 lb Butter
      2 tb Honey
           White sugar
           Brown sugar

  Mix yeast, brown sugar, dash of salt and 1 1/2 cups water.  Let sit for
  five minutes.  Add bread flour.  Knead well.  Let rise for about one hour.
   Take a piece of dough and roll and shape into a pretzel.  The easiest way
  to shape is to roll into a rope, whatever size you prefer.  Pinch ends of
  rope then bring ends of rope to other side of circle.  Mix baking soda and
  warm water.  Melt butter and mix with honey.
  Dip pretzels in baking soda and water mixture.  Bake at 550F for
   approximately 8 minutes.  Sprinkle with white and brown sugar.

-----