Mom's Blueberry Muffins

Peggy Engells <tengells@phoenix.net>
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 10:51:25 -0500 (CDT)
v097.n055.9
Thanks to all who responded to my search.  Here is the recipe, posted to me
by Jack Dickson (jaclyn@itexas.net).  The original version published and
used by me called for butter, not diet margarine.  Peggy

>My Mom's Blueberry Muffins
>
>Recipe By     : Dallas Morning News 6/11/97
>Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
>
>   2      cups          flour
>   3      teaspoons     baking powder
>     1/2  teaspoon      salt
>     2/3  cup           sugar
>   4      tablespoons   diet margarine
>     2/3  cup           milk
>   1                    egg
>   2      cups          blueberries -- fresh or frozen
>                        **Topping:
>   4      tablespoons   diet margarine -- softened
>     1/3  cup           flour
>     1/2  cup           sugar
>     1/2  teaspoon      cinnamon
>
>Recipe: Line a 12-well muffin tin with paper baking cups. Preheat
>oven to 400F.  Measure flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into
>a big bowl.  Melt butter (about 45 seconds on High, uncovered, in
>a microwave). Add  milk, then egg. Stir a little, just to break up the egg.
Combine the wet and dry mixtures. Just stir gently with a fork. Stir in the
blueberries.  Pour batter into muffin cups. Cover each with 2 tablespoons of
topping.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes.

>When muffins are done, take the muffin tin out of the oven. The
>topping should be browned and crunchy and the tops mounded. Let
>muffins cool in the tin at least 5 minutes. Upturn the tin; the
>muffins will fall out. Makes 12 muffins.
>
>Topping: Put butter, flour, sugar and cinnamon in a big bowl. Rub
>them between your fingers and palms until you've made crumbs about the size
of peas. This may take 2 to 3 minutes.