Re: Rye Bread--one I enjoyed

Randolph Cooper <coop@inetnebr.com>
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 22:28:40 -0500
v097.n057.6
Bonni Lee Brown <brown@coastalnet.com> inquired:

>I'm looking for a recipe for Russian Rye bread...not a black or marbled
>bread, but a lightly colored rye with glazed crisp crust and both brown
>and black caraway seeds. Does it ring a bell for anyone? I make bread
>using a KitchenAid. Thanks in advance.

I don't think I have a precise match for that description.  Sounds
wonderful though. When it comes to glazed loaves, I love balls rather than
my trusty machine.  Properly basted domed shaped loaves are the food of the
gods.  <opinion>

Your query reminded of a buttermilk rye I made so I'll let you ponder it.
I wish I knew who the source for this was so I could thank them.  Hope you
find what you're looking for.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Finnish Holiday Rye bread)
 Categories: Bread, Finland
      Yield: 6 Servings

      2 c  Buttermilk
    1/2 c  Molasses
    1/4 c  Butter or margarine
      2 ts Salt
      1 ts Fennel seeds
      1 ts Caraway seeds
      2 tb Dry yeast
    1/2 c  Warm water
           Grated rind of 1 orange
      1 c  Rye flakes or wheat germ
      2 c  Dark or light rye flour
  3 1/2    To 4 1/2 cups uncleached
           -white or whole wheat flour
           Glaze:
      1 tb Molasses
      2 tb Water

  Similar to Swedish rye.  Can be toasted.

  Heat the buttermilk, molasses, butter or margarine, salt, fennel
  seeds, and caraway seeds until the butter melts.  Set aside to cool.

  Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.  Let it stand for 5 minutes
  until the yeast bubbles.  ((My comment: whisk in some flour and
  molasses to nourish the yeast.))  Add the yeast to the cooled
  buttermilk mixture along with the grated orange rind, rye flakes or
  wheat germ, and rye flour. Beat well until smooth. Add 3 to 3 1/2
  cups of wheat flour, stirring in a cup at a time, until the dough
  will not readily absorb more flour. The dough will be rough.

  Flour a work surface with the remaining wheat flour and turn the
  dough out onto it.  Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest
  for 15 minutes. (The gluten in rye is more fragile than in wheat.  It
  needs a resting time to recuperate and reform and does not require as
  vigorous or lengthy a kneading).

  Gently knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes until smooth.  Form the
  dough into a ball and place it in a large buttered bowl or pot,
  turning it to coat all sides with butter.  Cover it and let it rise,
  in a warm spot, until doubled in size, about an hour.

  Punch down the dough and gently knead it for one minute.  Form the
  dough into three round loaves and place in lightly buttered 9-inch
  cake pans or on buttered baking sheets.  Cover and let rise until
  almost doubled in size, 45 minutes to an hour.

  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Combine the water and molasses,
  brush the tops with half of this mixture to glaze. Then lightly
  pierce the loaves all over with a fork.

  Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the bread sopunds hollow when tapped
  on the bottom.  While the bread is hot, brush it with the remaining
  glaze. Remove the loaves from the pans and cool on racks.

  Yields 3 loaves.

MMMMM