oatmeal rye breads

Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:57:01 -0800
v097.n070.14
Here are a couple of oatmeal-rye breads that you might try.  I don't know
how close they are to what your father's cousin had but these are a couple
I have in my files.  These don't have caraway seeds in them but you could
add them or sub them for something else.

Reggie
                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                        Hearty Oats And Wheat Loaf

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 10   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads                           Bread Machine
                Bread-Bakers Mailing List        Low Fat

   1      Package       Yeast
   1 1/2  Cups          Bread Flour -- Plus
   2      Tbsp          Bread Flour
   1      Cup           Whole wheat flour
     1/2  Cup           Rye flour
     1/2  Cup           Oatmeal
   1      Teaspoon      Salt
   1                    Egg
     1/4  Cup           Corn syrup
     1/4  Cup           Butter -- softened
   2      Teaspoons     Sesame seeds
   1      Cup           Warm Water -- (120-130 degrees)

I just tried adapting a regular bread recipe for my DAK, and it's come out
fine, so I'll share it. It's a Pillsbury Bake- off contest winner, from the
back of a flour bag.

 The first time I made it, it sunk in the middle. The next time I used 2 T.
more flour, and accidently left the darkness control on the light side, so
I don't know which fixed it! Does anyone know if it matters if you use
sugar or honey instead of the corn syrup? The original recipe called for
sticking the sesame seeds on the crust with an egg white--I've always just
put them in the bread instead.
Incidentally, if you have trouble with your DAK, are you sure all your
ingredients are room temperature and you heat the liquids to 120-130
degrees? (use the probe in your microwave to heat them) I once didn't heat
the water because I noticed the yeast package said 80 degrees for bread
machines, but it didn't come out--it was raw in the middle. Just a thought.
Let me know how this works for you.

 Virginia in Rochester, NY

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                      Mediterranean Multigrain Bread

Recipe By     : The Best Bread Machine Cookbook Ever - Ethnic Breads
Serving Size  : 14   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread Machine                    Ethnic
                Grains                           Low Fat
                Bread-Bakers Mailing List

                        - 1 1/2 Lb Loaf: -- 1 Lb Loaf:
   2 1/4  Tsp           Active Dry Yeast -- (1 1/2 t)
   2 1/4  C             Bread Flour -- (1 1/2 C)
     3/4  C             Whole-Wheat Flour -- (1/2 C)
     1/3  C             Rye Flour -- (1/4 C)
     1/3  C             Oatmeal -- (1/4 C)
     3/4  Tsp           Salt -- (1/2 t)
     1/3  C             Walnuts -- chopped, (1/4 C)
   1 1/3  C             Water -- (1 C)

Cookbook by Madge Rosenberg, pg 57

This moist, nutty, full-flavored bread tastes so good that you can forget
how healthy it is, full of fiber and vitamins and minerals.  Eat it with
minestrone or any kind of soup, in a sandwich filled with tuna fish or
chicken salad or roasted vegetables, or toasted for breakfast.

Add all ingredients in the order suggested by your bread machine manual and
process on the bread cycle according to the manufacturer's directions.