Copywrite problems

Mike Seltzer <mseltzer@concentric.net>
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 05:59:30 -0800
v097.n073.8
Bonni Lee Brown <brown@coastalnet.com> posted the following:
Subject: Fabulous NYC Rye Bread
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 17:35:01 -0500

I tried to post the "Sour Rye" recipe from George Greenstein's "Secrets
of a Jewish Baker" but was advised that the post was too long for this
list. Yes indeed, it is quite long and detailed. After searching and
experimenting for years for that special Rye Bread of my childhood in
Brooklyn, I believe I've found it in Mr. Greenstein's book.

If anyone would like me to email the recipe, I'd be happy to. It uses a
rye sour which is easy to maintain in the refrigerator and has the
moistness of interior coupled with the crisp shiny crust that rye should
have. If you add charnushka seeds (black caraway) it is better than the
Russian Rye sold in Harris Teeter stores.

As far as I'm concerned the only improvement would be New York City
water!!

Bonni     <brown@coastalnet.com>

I'm a writer by trade. I belong to the National Writers Union. There is
a potential for a copywrite infringement here. The are limits to how
much can be quoted from a book before there is infringement. While there
is no hard and fast rule, the longer the quote, the greater the
potential for a problem. Clearly, there is no intent to profit (What
ever you do, Bonni Lee, don't ask anybody for more than actual
expenses!) Always give the complete source, which you do, but also
acknowledge that it's under the copywrite protection of Mr. Greenstein.

When I first learned that this book had the "Sour Rye" recipe that I
wanted, I went to the bookstore and bot a copy. I let Mr. Greenstein
have his royalty, he earned it!

No, I'm not going to turn you in to the royalty police. And I thoroughly
enjoy the recipes posted in this newsletter, but let's not take validly
earned money away from people.

Mike Seltzer
mseltzer@concentric.net