Re: yeast in bread

"Ricardo Roselli Guersia" <ricguers@nutecnet.com.br>
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 10:10:03 -0200
v097.n077.9
Hi

I'd never noticed that yeast did have a taste until I stopped using it. At a
certain point of my baking career, I began to play with sourdough starters,
and soon I was so used to soughdough baking that I found no reason why I
should go back to commercial yeast. Sourdough starters, however, do take
longer both to become active again, after they've been used and re-fed, and
to actually leaven the dough, so sometimes, due to time constraints, I'm
forced to use yeast. And when it happens, ALL I can taste is the unpleasant
flavor of yeast in my bread.

So, here's the solution your problem: soudough baking! If you don't like it
when your breads get too sour, be sure that there are ways to keep it from
happening, like using higher proofing temperatures, which result in shorter
proofing times.

Best regards to all,
Ricardo
ricguers@nutecnet.com.br