Re: Scalded Milk

Mike the Crow <enkidu@mail.utexas.edu>
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 13:04:48 -0600
v097.n078.7
>I'm curious.  I've seen a few recipes now, that call for scalded milk.  I
>know how to scald milk, but I'm not really sure what affect scalded milk
>has on a recipe, as opposed to non(?)scalded milk.  Does anyone here know?

        Raw milk contains enzymes which break down the gluten in dough and
prevent it from rising. Scalding the milk breaks these down, as does the
dehydration process that creates the ubiquitous nonfat dry milk solids. This
used to be a vital step in lacto-breadmaking, but no longer, as most
household milk has already been scalded. Nowadays we call it "pasteurization."

Source: Greenstein, _Secrets of a Jewish Baker_

-M.
enkidu@mail.utexas.edu

"You neee-ver eat the same breakfast twice!"
  - T.K. Seung, dept. of Philosophy