yeast

DebHSN <DebHSN@aol.com>
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 15:33:47 EST
v097.n078.9
Chet wrote asking about yeast.  I can share from my experience that buying
yeast at the grocery gets expensive, and trying to keep it on hand can mean
making LOTS of trips to the store!  The yeast that Sams and other buying clubs
sell may be the same that you are buying--read the label.  Instant yeast is
not the same as active dry yeast; they are the two varieties that I see most
often sold.

I prefer buying active dry yeast--I have found a health food store that sells
it by the pound for a great price.  I keep it in the freezer when not in use,
and have never had it go bad on me.  Always proof it in warm water before
using in your recipe, and you should have no problems.  Any good bread baking
book should have lots of information on yeast--try Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book
as an example.  I learned a lot there!

Deb